the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the Davis collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > Davis >

Student Services


About UC Davis
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers
:: Summer Sessions

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

print-friendly format

Davis: Student Services

By the late 1960s, Student Services on the Davis campus were the responsibility of the Office of the Dean of Students. The deans and their staff assisted students with problems of a financial, vocational, emotional or scholastic nature, handling most of these problems through the service units mentioned below.

Counseling Service
Financial Aids, Scholarships, Loans
Food Service
Placement Center
Special Services Office
Student Health Service

Counseling Service
In the early 1950s, the Department of Agricultural Education initiated a limited, part-time program involving freshman testing and counseling. From this beginning developed a counseling service with the responsibility to assist students with questions pertaining to vocational and educational planning, and problems of a personal-social nature related to University life. In order to meet increasing student need for individual counseling and to broaden its services in many areas, the staff was repeatedly enlarged. The first full-time counseling psychologist was appointed in 1958.

to top

Financial Aids, Scholarships, Loans
The Farm Circle Loan Fund of approximately $3,000 was established in 1935 and was followed by other contributions for loans by interested friends and alumni so that the University loans were composed of 27 different funds totaling some $79,000 by 1968. With the passage of the National Defense Education Act in 1958, the Davis campus was able to loan approximately $51,000 to students in 1959-60. A total of $720,000 was loaned to 1,000 Davis students by the late 1960s. To further insure that adequate financial assistance would be available to students, the Regents provided $150,000 in Regents' loan funds in 1963, particularly to assist those students who needed funds in addition to their part-time earnings, scholarships and fellowships.

A fund for small emergency loans was established in 1932 by the activities council and a women's emergency fund was established in honor of the late Dean Susan F. Regan. These, along with grants-in-aid--loans with only a moral commitment to repay when able--were later administered through the Office of the Dean of Students in a manner to provide for students who encountered unexpected financial difficulty.

The first Committee on Scholarships and Prizes was appointed in 1947, with the chairman serving on the Undergraduate Scholarship Committee at Berkeley. With the further development and expansion at Davis it was felt that a separate committee was needed to handle increasing amounts of scholarship funds assigned to the campus. In 1958, the Davis Division of the Academic Senate established the Committee on Undergraduate Scholarships and Honors. The committee awarded $24,000 in scholarships in 1959 and approximately $223,000 in 1965. All of the scholarship funds were allocated to the chancellor who then awarded them upon the recommendation of the undergraduate scholarship committee.

In addition to the endowed scholarships, many donation scholarships were received from friends of the University and commercial organizations. In addition, the Regents used non-tax funds to establish both the Regents' scholarship program and the President's scholarship program that provided generous scholarships for outstanding students entering the University. The California Alumni Association and the Cal Aggie Alumni Association generously provided scholarships to a large number of entering freshmen.

In 1963 the separate scholarship and loan operations were brought together under the Office of Financial Aid for the purpose of eliminating duplication and improving assistance to students with financial difficulties.

to top

Food Service
Prior to the opening of the first dining hall in 1910, the new dairy barn in the Davis campus was used as a dining room. Tables were built the full length of both wings of the barn for this purpose. When completed, the dining hall served the students residing in North Dormitory. Later it was moved, together with the infirmary, to the present site of East Hall where it continued to be used as a dining facility until the Memorial Student Union was completed in 1955. The original building, with a post-World War II addition, was later occupied by the drama department and housed the East Hall Studio Theatre.

In 1952 Primero Halls food service was opened to the students residing in Becket and Hughes Halls. Beginning in 1955, the Memorial Union handled the food service contracts for all students living in residence halls outside the Primero Halls area.

The Primero Halls food service facilities were enlarged when it became necessary to provide meals for students in newly built Struve and Titus Halls, and in 1961, Segundo Halls food service was completed in order to feed students housed in Bixby, Gilmore and Malcolm Halls. Residents of Ryerson Hall, completed in 1963, also used this facility. Regan Halls had no food service, therefore half of the residents used the Primero Halls food service, half used the dining facilities at Segundo Halls.

to top

Placement Center
The Placement Center on the Davis campus was established in December, 1951. Before that time placement in all career jobs was handled by the various campus departments. The new office, called Bureau of Occupations, was under the jurisdiction of the provost until 1955, then was placed under the special services office.

In 1957, Sidney S. Sutherland of the Department of Education developed a plan for establishing a teacher placement office on the campus. This office opened in February of 1958 as a part of the Bureau of Occupations. The name was changed on University-wide and local levels to School and College Placement Service in 1959. The following year the name was again changed when the position of University-wide Director of Educational Placement was established. Called the Educational Placement Office, it was still responsible to the chief campus officer, but now had a policy relationship with the University-wide director.

At that same time, the name of the entire Bureau of Occupations was changed to Student and Alumni Placement Center, and in December of 1960, Chancellor Mrak placed the center under the jurisdiction of the dean of students' office.

The center handled all part-time and career placement of students on the Davis campus. Specific services included placement of students in part-time summer jobs while they were attending school, placement of teachers, and placement of graduates and alumni in career positions. Services were available to any student or alumnus of the University.

to top

Special Services Office
Special Services Office, with its subdivision Office of Veterans Affairs, originated immediately following World War II to help the returning G.I.'s obtain benefits entitled under the "G.I. Bill of Rights" and to service the relationship between University students and the Selective Service System. At its inception, it encompassed other activities such as the operation of a Bureau of Occupations and Teacher Placement as well as University Extension courses for returning veterans. With the Korean War and the Korean G.I. Bill, another large group of veterans was processed in this era. The number of men dealing with their draft boards under the Selective Service Act increased with the growing student body. As those eligible for veterans' benefits finished school, the Special Services Office accepted responsibility for benefits due the dependents of servicemen.

The formal Office of Special Services was dissolved July 1, 1965, and the duties were assumed by the Office of the Dean of Students.

to top

Student Health Service
Student Health Service for the Davis campus was established in 1909 with the opening of the first classes, three years after the campus came into being. Dr. Walter E. Bates, Davis physician, was the first school physician.

In 1912 a three-bed ward was set up in South Hall, and in 1922, space for an 18-bed infirmary was partitioned off in a building shared with the student dining hall. That arrangement served the campus for 30 years, until the fall of 1952, when a new building was completed and put into use.

From 1925 to 1947, Dr. Thomas E. Cooper served as visiting physician. In 1934 Dr. John Homer Woolsey was appointed to the staff and was the first physician to hold the title of director of the Student Health Service of the Davis campus. He served in this capacity until 1956 when he retired.

Under the directorship of Dr. Woolsey, a small staff of three visiting physicians, five staff nurses and a receptionist opened the doors of a new Student Health Center building in the fall of 1952 to provide dispensary and inpatient care to a student body of some 1,300. The building, designed to serve a student body of 3,000, was providing medical care to a student body of 6,300 in the spring of 1965. In that year construction began on a new south wing on the hospital and a new two-story outpatient addition on the north end of the structure.

As enrollment increased, the need for medical services and staff gradually multiplied. Dr. Thomas Y. Cooper, director of the Student Health Service, was appointed to this position in 1956.

Medical care was provided to the student to enable him physically and mentally to derive all that was possible from his college years. With this purpose in mind, Dr. Cooper arranged for specialty clinics to be held in the campus facility for the convenience of the students, instituted a surgical program, developed laboratory, x-ray and physical therapy services, and maintained a staff of 24 clinicians and consultants, 20 full-time nurses and some 20 full-time auxiliary personnel. The dispensary was staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for outpatient service and emergency care was provided at any time. The inpatient area was fully staffed on a 24-hour basis with a physician on call at all times.

to top

source

 
 
the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.