Los Angeles: Colleges and Schools
College of Agriculture
Instruction and experiment station activities
in agriculture on the Los Angeles campus began with the transfer
of the Division of Subtropical Horticulture and sections of the
Divisions of Entomology, Irrigation and Soils from Berkeley and
sections of plant pathology from the Davis and Riverside campuses
to Los Angeles in the fall of 1932. The staff was directed by Robert
W. Hodgson. Graduate instruction in the field of horticultural science
was approved in 1936. The program attracted many foreign students,
particularly those from countries with subtropical climates. Many
of these students then held important positions in the educational
and scientific institutions of their own countries. In 1938, William
H. Chandler was transferred from Berkeley to become assistant dean
of the Los Angeles section of the College of Agriculture and a program
in floriculture and ornamental horticulture was started. Agricultural
economics was added in 1939. Hodgson was in charge from 1943 to
1960. The Department of Botany was located in the College of Agriculture
from 1943 until 1962. Agricultural engineering was added in 1955.
Martin R. Huberty became acting dean of the college in late 1960
and was succeeded by Sidney H. Cameron, who was dean until 1965.
Notable research contributions were made in the
post-harvest physiology of fruits, floriculture, pests and pathology
of ornamental plants, chelates in plant nutrition, gibberellins,
control of flowering, genetics, citrus fruit handling, avocado pests
and culture, citrus culture, turf grasses, and structural and household
In 1965, the program began phasing itself out
and transferring its activities to the Davis and Riverside campuses.
All remaining activities were in a single Department of Agricultural
Sciences, established in 1964. No undergraduate instruction was
offered, but graduate studies were offered in several areas of specialization.
The Department of Agricultural Sciences no longer
exists as such; these activities have been transferred to appropriate
programs in the environmental and biological sciences.
School of Architecture and Urban Planning
On February 5, 1958, President Sproul appointed
a state-wide committee "to consider the need for a program
in architecture (and. . .associated disciplines) on the Los Angeles
campus. . ." The committee, which was chaired by Chancellor
Vern O. Knudsen, established the need for a school of architecture
and recommended the appointment of a dean to prepare a suitable
On May 12, 1961, the Office of the President issued
a statement reiterating the above, but adding the need for facilities
in the field of city and regional planning. The committee emphasized
the dynamic growth of southern California and the accessibility
to practicing architects and planners in the area.
George A. Dudley's appointment as dean of the
School of Architecture and Urban Planning was announced on November
8, 1964. Other appointments followed soon: Peter Kamnitzer was appointed
associate professor and Henry C. K. Liu and Denise V. Scott Brown
were appointed acting associate professors. Calvin Hamilton, planning
director of the city of Los Angeles was appointed lecturer and a
panel of distinguished visitors was appointed for the academic years
The first program proposed by the school was a
two-year graduate course of studies leading to a master of architecture
degree in urban design. Approximately 15-20 students entered the
school in September, 1966. They undertook a comprehensive program
of design-oriented studio work based strongly on the social and
technological sciences. The nature of urban design required the
interdisciplinary cooperation of the social and behavioral sciences
as well as the professions of law and engineering and the arts.
Other programs in architecture, city and regional
planning, and history of architecture and planning, as well as the
bachelor programs, followed.
Great emphasis was placed on research. At the
time of the school's founding, research was still in its infancy
in the fields of architecture, urban design, and planning, and the
Los Angeles area was considered a most suitable environment for
much needed systematic investigation. By September, 1967, most of
the Dickson Art Center building was occupied by the school. source
Architecture and Urban Design is now a department
within the School of the Arts and Architecture.
School of Business Administration
The business schools evolved out of commerce
teacher preparation in the old normal school (continued for a time
in a separate Department of Business Education and later in the
School of Education) and in the economics department from 1922 to
1935. Applied economics and accounting courses, then developed under
Chairman Howard S. Noble, were transferred along with a faculty
of seven persons to the Department of Business Administration in
the College of Business Administration, established in 1937. Noble
served as dean of the college and department chairman until 1947.
In this period national accreditation was achieved
(1938), the M.B.A. degree authorized (1939), and enrollments grew
from 931 undergraduate and 27 graduate students in 1939, to 1,963
undergraduate and 94 graduate students in 1947.
Neil H. Jacoby was appointed dean in 1947 (also
chairman of the department until a separate chairman was appointed
in 1957). The college was changed to an upper division school in
1950, and a separate graduate school was added in 1955. Doctoral
studies were authorized in 1953, and special agencies added later,
including the Division of Research (1956), Western Data Processing
Center (1956), Western Management Science Institute (1960), and
the California Management Review, published jointly with the Berkeley
faculty since 1958. A master of science degree was authorized in
1961. In September, 1961, the Business Administration Library was
established, which housed over 41,000 volumes, and 4,000 subscriptions
by the mid-1960s. After 1966, the B.S. degree program and the school
were phased out, leaving only the graduate school faculty and postgraduate
programs, with limited undergraduate courses for service to these
and other campus programs.
A full-time-equivalent department faculty of 104.65
was organized into nine divisional areas, serving 714 undergraduate
and 633 graduate students (including 154 students in doctoral studies).
In the academic year 1964-65, there were 280 B.S., 225 M.B.A., and
13 Ph.D. degrees awarded.
After 1945 the school maintained and developed,
in cooperation with University Extension, special programs of classes,
short courses, certificate programs, conferences, and executive
development programs. These programs served over 25,000 participants
annually. Over 1,000 senior executives completed the year-long executive
program between 1954 and 1965. source
Business Administration has now become the Anderson
School of Management.
School of Dentistry
Following recommendations by a University-wide
committee appointed by President Sproul, the establishment of a
School of Dentistry at Los Angeles was authorized by the Regents
on June 20, 1958; the first dean took office on July 1, 1960.
In the development of the school, important considerations
included the campus setting generally, as well as potential relationships
of the school to the other health sciences. The curriculum was designed
to provide a broad education in the basic, clinical, and public
health sciences and key senior faculty members held joint appointments
in interrelated schools and departments.
The facilities under construction from 1964 to
1966 included general and specific dental clinics, teaching and
research laboratories, administrative and faculty offices, and a
television teaching studio. Built in functional juxtaposition to
the bio-medical library, the basic health science facilities, and
the hospital of the Center for the Health Sciences, the capacity
of the school permitted graduation of 96 dentists per year by the
mid-1960s. While the facilities were still under construction, the
first class of 27 men and one woman was admitted in September, 1964.
A significant research facility matching grant
of over $1 million from the U. S. Public Health Service was part
of the financing for the new dental facility.
In addition to the regular dental program, the
school, together with the Graduate Division of the campus, initiated
in 1964 an advanced academic program for young dentists seeking
further basic knowledge and scientific background. Several collaborative
search programs evolved with extramural support.
In the mid-1960s, there was an urgent need for
research in specific fields of clinical dentistry and multidisciplinary
investigations basic to advances in oral biology. Also, there was
increasing demand upon the University for postgraduate education.
These requirements and those of the Master Plan for Higher Education
guided the planning of facilities, faculty, and academic programs.
A total complement equivalent to 80 full-time faculty members was
planned for appointment within the School of Dentistry when the
dental facility became fully operational. source
School of Education
The School of Education can trace its lineage
back to the legislative act of March 3, 1881, which authorized the
opening of a branch of the San Jose State Normal School in Los Angeles.
Teacher training was the primary responsibility of the "southern
branch" (opened in 1882) and in 1894, the Department of Education
was established. In 1917, three years after the renamed Los Angeles
State Normal School was moved to a larger site on Vermont Avenue,
Ernest Carroll Moore was appointed director of the normal school
and chairman of the Department of Education. When the Southern Branch
of the University opened in 1919, Moore assumed the directorship
of the campus and the deanship of the Teachers College, a replacement
for the normal school. On opening day, 260 students enrolled in
the College of Letters and Science, while Teachers College counted
1,078 students preparing for professional careers in education.
In 1929, Teachers College commenced its program of instruction at
the new campus in Westwood under the guidance of Provost Moore,
who continued to serve as chairman of education in Teachers College.
In 1936, when Moore relinquished his administration
of the Los Angeles campus and Teachers College, although continuing
to serve for four years as professor of the history of education,
Marvin L. Darsie was appointed dean of Teachers College. When the
School of Education was founded in 1939, Darsie assumed its deanship
and became chairman of the Department of Education the following
year. His successor, Edwin A. Lee, was to serve 17 years in the
same dual capacity. Upon his retirement in 1957, the incumbent,
Howard E. Wilson, accepted the leadership of the school and department.
There is no precise record of the number of teachers
graduated from the Department of Education in its early days as
the Teachers College. By June, 1965, however, the department had
an enviable record in graduate degrees: 522 master of arts, 730
master of education, and 457 doctor of education degrees had been
The School of Education has now been incorporated
into the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.
of Education and Information Studies
There is no history currently available for
this school. See School of Education and
School of Library Service.
School of Engineering and Applied Science
With the incorporation of Los Angeles State
Normal School into the University in 1919, a two-year pre-engineering
program was instituted under the College of Applied Arts. Enrollments
were 38 in the fall of 1919, and 130 in the fall of 1920. Upon completion
of this lower division program, students could and did pursue upper
division studies in the several engineering curricula at Berkeley
On January 10, 1941, the Regents authorized full
instruction in engineering on the Los Angeles campus. On June 8,
1943, Governor Earl Warren approved Assembly Bill 1140, appropriating
$300,000 for "instruction in engineering with emphasis on the
major disciplines fundamental to aeronautical science and engineering."
Effective November 1, 1944, the Regents, upon the recommendation
of President Robert Gordon Sproul, appointed Llewellyn M. K. Boelter,
associate dean of the College of Engineering at Berkeley, as dean
of the new College of Engineering at Los Angeles.
The college, building on the foundation of the
pre-engineering program and the extensive World War II engineering,
science, and management war training program, and stimulated by
the industrial wartime expansion in southern California, opened
its first class in the fall of 1945 with 379 students. Enrollment
rose sharply to 1,443 in the fall of 1946.
From the beginning, the college adopted a concept
in engineering education characterized by a single undergraduate
curriculum, with emphasis on the fundamentals common to all engineers.
Mastery of specialized techniques of the various engineering branches
was left to the senior year, graduate study, and work experience
Major research areas included air pollution, transportation
and traffic engineering, city and regional planning, sea water conversion,
application of solar energy, metal corrosion, computer design, control
systems, cargo handling, biotechnology, ceramics, chemical processes,
circuits, earthquake studies, electrical and mechanical standards,
electromagnetics, electron microscopy, electronics, communications,
fluid mechanics, heat transfer, materials, metallography, x-ray
studies of metals, nuclear energy, petroleum production, high-speed
aerodynamics, subsonic and supersonic wind tunnels, propulsion,
sanitation, soil mechanics, structures, welding, and the design
of engineering curricula.
Developing nations were aided by the college
through a long-range educational, development, and research program
at Gadjah Mada University in Indonesia and small industrialization
projects in Northeast Brazil. An exchange program with the National
Polytechnic Institute of Mexico was also initiated.
By the mid-1960s, some $2.5 million in research
grants and contracts were received from federal, state, and local
governmental agencies, foundations, industry, and the University.
The Engineering-Mathematical Sciences Library grew from 381 items,
in 1945, to holdings of 85,000 volumes, 4,250 journals, and 250,000
reports by the mid-1960s.
Engineering Extension served employed and future
engineers in southern California since 1945 through a wide-ranging
and high-quality program of evening classes, short courses, and
Engineering students represented almost ten percent
of the entire Los Angeles student body in the mid-1960s. Spring,
1965 enrollment in engineering was 1,191 undergraduates and 1,027
graduate students. Through January, 1965, the college and department
had granted 3,525 bachelor of science degrees, 1,254 master's (master
of science and master of engineering) degrees, and 140 doctor of
The spring 1965 academic faculty consisted of
135 professors, associate professors, assistant professors, and
lecturers. The research staff (excluding graduate and undergraduate
student research engineers and assistants) consisted of 19 persons.
The College of Engineering is now the Henry Samueli
School of Engineering and Applied Science.
College of Fine Arts
The College of Fine Arts was an administrative
unit on the Los Angeles campus housing the Departments of Art, Dance,
Music, and Theater Arts. Established July 1, 1900, the college was
an outgrowth of two former colleges. When Teachers College became
the School of Education in 1939, the Departments of Art, Home Economics,
Mechanic Arts, Music, and Physical Education were transferred to
the newly created College of Applied Arts together with a degree
program in public health nursing and various pre-professional curricula.
The first dean of the college, Frederick W. Cozens, served until
1942. He was succeeded by John F. Bovard (1942-46), David F. Jackey
(1947-60), and William W. Melnitz, who served starting in 1960.
With increased interest in the arts generally,
and particularly in southern California, the College of Fine Arts
was established in 1960 to replace the discontinued College of Applied
Arts as the administrative organization for the Departments of Art,
Music, and Theater Arts. Other majors and curricula formerly included
in the old College of Applied Arts were either phased out or transferred
to another college on the campus. Dance was given departmental status
in the college in 1962.
In announcing the new College of Fine Arts, Chancellor
Franklin D. Murphy indicated its objective to be "a truly professional
education of the highest quality for the creative and performing
artist on the one hand, and the historian and critic of the arts
on the other." Each of the four departments in the college
offers the bachelor of arts and the master of arts degrees. The
master of fine arts degree were made available in the Department
of Art (in the areas of pictorial arts and design) and in the Department
of Theater Arts (in theater, motion pictures, and television-radio).
The doctor of philosophy degree was offered in history of art, music,
and history of theater. Standard teaching credentials were also
available in the several departments.
By the mid-1960s, the former College of Applied
Arts and the College of Fine Arts had awarded 8,605 bachelor's degrees,
1,234 master's degrees, and 28 Ph.D. degrees. Professionally, many
fine arts students have achieved national recognition or have won
international awards for their competence in some area of the arts.
As of the fall semester of 1965, enrollment in the four departments
approached 1,200 undergraduates and 500 graduates. The faculty of
the college totaled nearly 200, of whom approximately half have
professional standing. In addition to regular faculty, the several
departments invited to the campus each year distinguished visiting
professors and world-renowned professional artists, all of whom
brought to the classroom fresh approaches and a practical, professional
The college was also closely identified with the
UCLA Committee on Fine Arts Productions and Public Lectures, through
whose efforts the University was able to present a broad range of
cultural fare, serving not only students and faculty, but the entire
southern California community as well. Located in an area rich in
musical, dramatic, and artistic talents, the College of Fine Arts
sought to take full advantage of all these resources and at the
same time assume the accompanying obligation to nurture the continued
growth and development of the fine arts. source
The College of Fine Arts was later incorporated
into the School of the Arts and Architecture.
School of Law
In recognition of the need for a state-supported
law school in the most populous area of the state, the California
State Legislature, in 1947, appropriated $1,660,000 for the construction
of a law school building on the Los Angeles campus.
In 1949, when the school accepted its first class,
a single classroom, administrative office, 30,000 volume library
and reading room, and offices for the faculty of five were located
in three temporary buildings on the site of the Humanities Buildings.
The law school building was completed and occupied in 1951, and
the first class of 44 was graduated in 1952, by which time approval
had been received from all relevant accrediting agencies.
By the mid-1960s, the bachelor of laws degree
was granted to approximately 1,500 law students, the faculty had
expanded to some 40 members, and the library possessed more than
Construction was completed on a new wing for the
building in 1967, when the school reached its planned size of 50
faculty members working with 1,000 students.
By the mid-1960s, the UCLA Law Review had become
a publication of accepted scholarly distinction. An honors program
in appellate advocacy was also in operation. A program leading to
the degree of master of comparative law for foreign-trained lawyers
was established. The curriculum covered a variety of legal subjects
and included interdisciplinary seminars in law and medicine, international
and foreign studies, and industrial relations.
By the mid-1960s, the areas of teaching and research
in which the law faculty were engaged covered almost every field
of interest in which legal scholarship is a factor. These interests
had been developed in many cases in conjunction with the interests
of the Los Angeles campus at large. Thus, specialization was found
in the legal problems of urban society in the fields of land planning,
industrial relations, and the administration of criminal justice.
The business interests of the Los Angeles community were reflected
in a law school emphasis on the legal problems of the entertainment
industry and the oil and gas industry, with particular attention
being given to corporate finance and taxation.
programs were developed with the medical school and the important
activities of this campus as a center of scientific development
were brought into the ambit of legal thought through a Law-Science
Research Center. The study of foreign and international law
also proceeded with particular energy in the fields of special campus
interest, Latin America, Africa, and the Near East.
Although in the mid-1960s the school's alumni
were still a relatively young and relatively small group, they had
already become an important factor in the legal community. Among
them were a half-dozen judges, members of national, state, and city
government, and several law professors. source
College of Letters and Science
The College of Letters and Science was established
in the fall of 1923 when third-year instruction began at the Southern
Branch of the university.
The college's first A.B. degrees were awarded
in June, 1925 to 100 women and 29 men. Forty years later, when 11,752
students were enrolled in the college, A.B. degrees were awarded
to 1,162 students and B.S. degrees (inaugurated in 1934) to 94.
In 1925, 13 departmental majors were listed; in 1965, 33 departmental
and 16 interdepartmental majors were offered. The 1925 Catalogue
lists a total faculty of 198; in 1965, the college had a full-time
faculty of 775. From 1941 to 1958, the college awarded the associate
in arts degree upon the completion of the lower-division program.
The college requirements for the bachelor's degree were thoroughly
revised twice, in 1947 and in 1965.
The college was first organized by Charles H.
Rieber, professor of philosophy, who served as dean from 1923-36.
He was followed by Gordon S. Watkins, professor of economics, 1936-45.
In 1946, on the recommendation of a faculty committee, the college
was completely reorganized. The dean was given responsibility for
budget and personnel and the college was organized into four divisions
(humanities, life sciences, physical sciences, and social sciences),
each headed by a divisional dean.
To implement the new organization, Paul A. Dodd,
professor of economics, was appointed dean of the college and chose
as divisional deans Franklin P. Rolfe (humanities), Albert W. Bellamy
(life sciences), William O. Young (physical sciences), and Dean
E. McHenry (social sciences). In 1950, J. Wesley Robson was added
to the staff as associate dean in charge of student affairs and
in 1958, Eli Sobel was appointed associate dean in charge of special
and honors programs, including the college's program for gifted
high school students. Dodd served until his retirement in 1961,
when Rolfe became dean of the college. source
School of Library Service
In 1930 Los Angeles City Librarian Everett
R. Perry proposed to President Sproul and Regent Dickson the establishment
of a library school on the Los Angeles campus of the University,
mentioning that his library board concurred in the position taken
by the American Library Association which favored the professional
training of librarians in universities rather than in libraries.
In 1936, a School of Library Science was opened
by the University of Southern California. In 1935, the School of
Librarianship, Berkeley, had begun to offer a summer program on
the Los Angeles campus which was suspended temporarily in 1942 following
the entry of the United States into World War II. This inter-campus
program was not resumed after the war. In 1948, a pre-librarianship
curriculum was developed at the Los Angeles campus, not to offer
undergraduate courses in librarianship, but to counsel students
on preparation for admission to graduate library schools elsewhere.
Within the University, first Regent Dickson and later University
Librarian Lawrence Clark Powell and various library leaders and
organizations outside of the University took up the pre-war interest
in a Los Angeles campus library school. Following careful discussions
and two surveys of California's needs for professionally trained
librarians, the Regents on December 19, 1958 approved the establishment
of a graduate library school on the Los Angeles campus.
During a planning year, 1959-60, a faculty was
recruited and other preparations were made for opening classes in
the School of Library Service on September 19, 1960. Powell resigned
his position as University librarian to accept an appointment as
dean of the new school. He and a faculty of five met the first class
of 55 students selected from more than 500 persons who had inquired
or applied during the planning year. These inquiries had come from
34 states and 11 foreign countries. The school was accredited by
the American Library Association in June of 1962. During the first
five years of instruction, 1960-65, a total of 248 master of library
science degrees were conferred; the faculty increased to 13 members
and the number of courses offered increased from 22 to 30. The first
specialized post-M.L.S. program, an internship in medical librarianship
supported by a grant from the U.S. Public Health Service, was offered
in 1960-61 in collaboration with the Biomedical Library. In January,
1965, a second degree, master of science in information science
(documentation), was approved and added to the school's program.
With conversion to the quarter calendar in 1966, the normal course
of study leading to the M.L.S. degree was extended two semesters
and a summer session to four full quarters.
As of the 1960s, all planning of professional
education for library service on the Los Angeles campus had been
done with the collaboration and assistance of the School of Librarianship,
Berkeley. The two schools had a common advisory council of professional
librarians. With the establishment of the Los Angeles school of
Library Service, the alumni association of the School of Librarianship
was reconstituted as a single organization for the graduates of
both schools. The direction
of the Library Research Institute
was, from its establishment on July 1, 1964, divided between the
two schools; doctoral candidates in the School of Librarianship
took courses, when appropriate, on the Los Angeles campus or received
direction in their research from members of the faculty of the School
of Library Service. source
The School of Library Service was later incorporated
into the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.
School of Medicine
The School of Medicine was established in
1947 on a 35-acre site at the south end of the University's Los
Angeles campus. The first class of 28 medical students was accepted
in 1951 and began classes in temporary quarters. In 1954, the school
moved into its permanent buildings. By the mid-1960s, there were
128 students in each of the four classes. The full-time faculty
numbered more than 200 and a part-time faculty consisted of about
700 practicing physicians in the community.
A comprehensive research program under the direction
of the faculty achieved major advances in nuclear medicine, kidney
and liver disorders, psychiatric illnesses, neurological diseases,
disorders of speech and hearing, cardiovascular problems, orthopedic
problems, and in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, advances
in the understanding of brain function; and advances in the application
of computers to the health sciences.
Integrated with the Medical School in a single
building complex were the University Hospital and Clinics and the
Neuropsychiatric and Brain Research Institutes. Also in the same
building and sharing classrooms and laboratories in the basic sciences
was the School of Dentistry. Nearby, on the West Medical campus,
were the Laboratory of Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Biology and
the Rehabilitation Center.
The teaching program of the Medical School was
affiliated since its beginning with both the Los Angeles Veterans
Administration Center and the Los Angeles County Harbor General
The School of Medicine is now known as the David
Geffen School of Medicine.
School of Nursing
The School of Nursing was authorized by the
Regents of the University in June, 1949, as one of the professional
schools in the Medical Center at Los Angeles. The establishment
of such a school had been under consideration for approximately
eight years before it was authorized and approved for the establishment
of undergraduate and graduate programs in nursing.
The school achieved a position of national importance
in 1950 when it initiated a new program for the preparation of professional
nurses. The program leading to the bachelor of science degree was
offered in four academic years and provided for a close interweaving
of general and professional education. The undergraduate and graduate
programs were reviewed by the accrediting service of the National
League for Nursing and awarded full accreditation in 1954, 1958,
and 1964. Each time the school received commendation for the relatively
unique approach in the undergraduate nursing curriculum.
The faculty of the school was also instrumental
in developing and securing adoption of a new set of regulations
by the State Board of Nurse Examiners. These regulations make it
possible for colleges and universities to develop undergraduate
nursing education programs along the same lines as other undergraduate
programs within institutions of higher education.
The first class of eight students completed the
undergraduate program and received the bachelor of science degree
in 1954. By the mid-1960s, the school had awarded a total of 751
baccalaureate degrees to University students and registered nurses.
At the master's level, the first two degrees were awarded in 1952.
By the mid-1960s, a total of 308 master of science degrees had been
awarded. The major activity of the faculty, which grew in number
from seven to 33, was the development and evaluation of the teaching
programs and the phasing out of the program for registered nurses.
Research and teaching at the graduate level were
to recieve increased emphasis in the following decade. source
School of Public Health
In the mid-1960s, schools of public health
were a comparatively recent development, receiving their greatest
impetus during and after World War II when community health problems
were intensified by increased urbanization and industrialization
in the United States and in the newly emerging nations.
The School of Public Health at Los Angeles developed
from the Los Angeles department of the University-wide school which
had been established at Berkeley in 1944. Dr. Norman B. Nelson became
the first chairman of the Los Angeles department in 1946, heading
a faculty of one part-time and two full-time members. Two-year programs
leading to the bachelor of science degree were offered for students
with junior standing in the University and the requisite background
in physical and biological sciences. The first four students were
graduated in 1948.
Dr. A. Harry Bliss guided the development of the
Los Angeles department from 1948 until 1956. He received valuable
assistance from the Chancellor's Committee on Instruction in Public
Health. The committee recommended development of the future School
of Public Health at Los Angeles in cooperation with the developing
Medical Center and also recommended appointment of an associate
dean at Los Angeles with authority to act as dean in local matters.
To carry out both of these recommendations, Dr.
Wilton L. Halverson was appointed chairman of the Department of
Preventive Medicine and Public Health in the School of Medicine
and associate dean of the School of Public Health in 1954. In 1956,
Dr. L. S. Goerke succeeded Halverson as associate dean of the school
and also became chairman of the department. At the same time he
became chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine and Public
Health in the School of Medicine. In ensuing years, joint appointments
in the two faculties were continued and the first graduate program
in public health at Los Angeles was sponsored by the joint faculties.
This program, leading to the master of science degree, was first
offered in 1957. Doctors of medicine in the M.S. program were under
the guidance of the Department of Preventive Medicine.
On March 17, 1961, the Board of Regents approved
the establishment of a separate School of Public Health at Los Angeles
and Dr. Goerke was appointed dean, effective March 20, 1961.
A four-year period of very rapid growth began
in 1961. Total enrollment in the fall of 1960 was 61 students, of
whom 43 were graduate students. Total enrollment in the fall of
1964 was 250 students, of whom 192 were graduate students and eight
were postdoctoral scholars.
The trend in the school's growth was toward graduate
study and research. In the academic year 1964-65, bachelor of science
degrees were awarded to 20 students and advanced degrees to 55.
At the end of that year, the joint full-time faculty numbered 32,
eight of whom were supported by federal funds. There were 23 full-time
professional personnel supported by research grants and contracts.
The school had unique opportunities for contributing
to the public service function of the University. Its faculty members
served on committees of governmental and voluntary health agencies
and participated in programs of continuing education in public health.
Instruction and public service activities were combined in its responsibility
for coordinating health programs for the Peace Corps at the Los
Angeles campus. source
School of Public Policy and Social
See School of Social
School of Social Welfare
The graduate School of Social Welfare came
into existence as a Department of Social Welfare in 1947-48, under
the chairmanship of Ralph Beals, with graduate courses offered in
only the first year of the two-year master's program. In 1948, Donald
S. Howard was appointed as chairman of the department and dean-designate
of the projected School of Social Welfare. The department became
a separate graduate school in 1949, offering a two-year master's
degree in social welfare, and Howard became its first dean. He was
succeeded in 1963 by Eileen Blackey.
For more than two decades, the school had a relatively
small enrollment, averaging about 50-60 students a year. Enrollment
in the school in 1964-65 was 100 students; for 1965-66, the enrollment
reached 120, with similar increases planned over the next several
years toward an estimated maximum of 200 students.
In the mid-1960s, the faculty complement was 18.25
(full-time equivalent), which was increased with the initiation
of a doctoral program. Such a program, aimed at preparing teachers
and researchers in the field, was in the process of development
in the mid-1960s. In keeping with the changing trends in social
work education, the curriculum of the school was revised from time
to time after 1949, with a major reorganization occurring in 1965
when the curriculum was rewritten to conform to the quarter-system
pattern of education adopted by the University.
As a graduate professional school, the program
of study included both academic courses and a required number of
hours in field instruction in selected social agencies in the community.
The master's degree curriculum in social welfare encompassed five
major program areas: human behavior; social welfare organization
and services; social work methods theory; social work research;
and field instruction. With the exception of a brief period, this
school prepared graduates primarily for the field of social casework,
but with the initiation of the new curriculum in 1966, a curriculum
specialization was offered in community organization as well.
Between 1966-1968, the school greatly extended
its programs funded from extramural sources and participated in
federal and state grants directed toward training and research in
rehabilitation, mental retardation, child welfare and mental health.
An undergraduate pre-social welfare major was
offered in the College of Letters and Science. This program came
under review by the school and the college with the objective of
improving and strengthening the undergraduate preparation for a
career in social welfare.
A University Extension program in social welfare
was initiated in 1965 which included plans for extension courses,
short-term educational activities, and collaboration with other
University departments in programs of the Peace Corps, Economic
Opportunities Administration, and U. S. and U. N. foreign exchange
School of Theater, Film and Television
There in no history currently available for this school. See College
of Fine Arts.