the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the Riverside collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > Riverside >

Student Services


About UC Riverside
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers
:: Summer Sessions

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

print-friendly format

Riverside: Student Services

The dean of students office in Riverside offered certain personnel services to assist students in the solution of scholastic, financial, or personal problems, seeking to help all students the best possible adjustment to University life.

Financial Aids, Scholarships, Loans
Food Service
Housing Office
Placement Service
Student Counseling Center
Student Health Service

Financial Aids, Scholarships, Loans
During the first years of the College of Letters and Science, the various scholarship and loan services were administered by several offices as extra assignments. In 1962 scholarship services were combined in a newly established Scholarship Office which was redesignated the Financial Aids Office the following year. Student loans were then transferred to financial aids from the dean of students, and a coordinated program of scholarships and loans was initiated.

The scholarship program began with a total of $950 awarded to 12 students during the first semester of instruction. In 1964-65 awards totalling $77,600 were granted to 149 students. Through the efforts of the chief campus officers, scholarships were established by several local groups and individuals, and funds were increased by new programs instituted by the Regents and through distribution to Riverside of University-wide endowment funds.

Friends of the University also contributed funds for student loans, permitting students both long-term and short-term emergency loans. In 1958 the campus applied for participation in the National Defense Student Loan Program, thereby increasing available loan funds and enabling many students to continue their education who would otherwise have been forced to withdraw.

to top

Food Service
The first food facility on the Riverside campus was opened in February, 1954, in the basement of the Physical Education Building. This facility was moved to the "Barn" in September, 1955, and this structure later became a campus tradition. The Barn was enlarged in November, 1957, by the addition of a faculty room donated by Town & Gown, a social-education organization, and the kitchen was added in the summer of 1958.

The Aberdeen-Inverness Halls with attendant cafeteria were opened in September, 1959, followed by Lothian Hall in the fall of 1963. The kitchen in Aberdeen-Inverness Halls provided the bulk of the prepared food for Lothian Hall (which did not have a kitchen) and did practically all of the catered food service on the campus. The Faculty Club served a limited luncheon menu and is served from the Barn.

The original food facility operated with one full-time employee and three part-time employees. By the mid-1960's, the staff numbered 46 full-time employees and approximately 150 part-time students and was assigned the function of providing all of the residence hall food service and such other snack-type operations as may be required in the Barn, Faculty Club and at all catered functions. Approximately 2,200 meals per day were served and 1,800-2,000 people were provided with snack-type items.

to top

Housing Office
Housing Office was opened in the summer of 1959 to handle application contracts, and assignments for on-campus housing and to maintain a listing service for off-campus housing for students, staff and faculty. In February of 1964 the responsibility for residence hall student government, head residents and resident assistants was transferred from the Housing Office to the deans of students office. On July 1, 1964, the Housing Office was integrated with the residence hall central administration under the supervision of the residence hall administrator.

Placement Service
Placement Service in February, 1954, consisted of one part-time clerk in a cubicle of the Personnel Office. By 1968, there was a staff of six made up of the director, two assistant directors and three secretaries.

Three separate programs currently operated in the Placement Office: part-time and summer job placement; full-time placement in business, industry, and government; and teacher placement.

Part-time and summer employment opportunities provided the student with an income which allowed him to continue his education by supplementing family assistance. On- and off-campus jobs offered a variety of part-time employment possibilities.

A full-time placement program benefited undergraduate and graduate students who were within a year of receiving their baccalaureate or advanced degree, and who sought careers in business, industry or government. This service was also available to alumni of the University who want assistance in seeking new positions. Employers visited the campus from October to May to interview students for employment.

Educational placement assisted prospective teachers who sought positions in public or private schools, colleges or universities. School district representatives made regular visits to Riverside to interview applicants and liaison was maintained with educational employers throughout the nation. Teaching alumni who were interested in professional advancement or geographical relocation could also utilize the job placement service.

to top

Student Counseling Center
Student Counseling Center was established at Riverside in 1963 to assist students in becoming maximally effective as students and as persons.

Specifically, students were offered confidential psychological counseling to clarify problems and make decisions pertaining to vocational, educational and personal goals. Interviews, group experiences and psychological testing were used to help students increase their self-understanding in order to make better and more satisfying use of their intellectual and personal resources.

to top

Student Health Service
In February, 1954 when the College of Letters and Science opened its doors, a new concept in student health medicine was born with the adoption of a California Physicians' Service insurance plan for all students who paid the full incidental fee. The contract provided fall medical, surgical, and 50-day hospitalization care at a minimum cost; the student was covered whether he was on-campus or at home during a holiday period.

The first campus dispensary occupied the east wing of the Physical Education Building and provided only day care. In September, 1961, the new Student Health Service Building opened just in time for the fall registration week. This new building was built to accommodate an enrollment of 5,000 students, and provided ten infirmary beds in addition to a large outpatient department complete with laboratory and x-ray units. The program expanded to include round-the-clock infirmary and emergency outpatient care. Specialty clinics were added in the dispensary.

In February, 1963, the dental clinic program began operation one day a week with care limited to emergency services. This service was very much in demand and a year later expanded to two days a week. The students paid for their dental care at reduced fees. In addition to the dental charges, the students paid for medications for chronic medical conditions. As the function of the health service was to keep the student in school, treatment and medications for acute illnesses and injuries were provided free of charge.

The new building proved to be very efficient in saving the time of both the student and the staff member. This building plan was used as a model for several health services throughout the country.

source

to top

 
 
the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.