Riverside: Summer Sessions
From 1924 through 1932 summer session courses
in agriculture were offered on the Riverside campus. Courses covered
the entire field of subtropical fruit culture in the United States.
Students from citrus-producing areas of the United States and from
many foreign countries were in attendance.
Professor Sidney H. Cameron was in charge of the
eighth annual session in 1931, replacing Professor R. W. Hodgson
who had directed all previous sessions. Eminent horticulturists
and scientists were always represented on the faculties.
The need for a regular summer session program
on the Riverside campus became apparent in the spring of 1964 as
a result of state legislation designed to upgrade the training of
public school teachers in California. In addition, there was a desire
to meet the needs of regularly enrolled students who otherwise would
attend other universities during the summer to fulfill degree requirements.
To meet these needs a six-week summer session was initiated in 1965.
The program offered courses covering 25 academic
areas, with a teaching faculty totaling 63. The enrollment for the
first summer session was approximately 1,000 students. Professor
Donald T. Sawyer was director of the program.