the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the Santa Barbara collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > Santa Barbara > Graduate Division

About UC Santa Barbara
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers
:: Summer Sessions

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

print-friendly format

Santa Barbara: Graduate Division

In 1958, when the Regents made Santa Barbara a general campus of the University, there was only a handful of graduate students. Shortly afterwards, advanced graduate programs were established. In 1954, for example, there were 16 regular graduate students enrolled and 42 characterized as "special postgraduate" students. By 1962, there were 250 students enrolled in the Graduate Division. In the fall semester of 1965, 930 students were registered for advanced degrees and credentials.

There also was a remarkable increase in the number of graduate programs offered at Santa Barbara. By the mid-1960's, there were 24 programs leading to the M.A. degree, one to the M.S. degree, and one to the master of fine arts degree. Furthermore, 15 departments offered programs leading to the Ph.D. degree. Other programs were proposed, but awaited confirmation by the various committees of the Academic Senate and by the administration.

According to the provisions of the Fisher Bill, passed by the legislature in 1961, all teaching credentials required post- baccalaureate study. Santa Barbara had long had a strong teacher training program and a considerable number of students working toward a credential. The campus expected enrollment to increase markedly since the elementary teaching credential also required work beyond the bachelor's degree.

Laboratory facilities, too, expanded. Inevitably, however, they did not quite keep up with increases in enrollment. The library moved from the status of a college library to one representative of a university. In most fields, library holdings were adequate for advanced graduate work. In certain fields, however, students found it necessary to do at least a part of their work in the University library at Los Angeles, Berkeley, or elsewhere. In 1965, graduate enrollment was approximately 10 per cent of the total enrollment at Santa Barbara. By the mid-1960's, the campus expected that if enrollment trends continued, the percentage would rise rapidly.

source

to top

 
 
the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.