the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the San Diego collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > San Diego > Departments

About UC San Diego
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

print-friendly format

San Diego: Departments


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Making of the Modern World
Marine Biology
Materials Science
Mathematics
Mathematics and Science Education
Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Molecular Biophysics
Molecular Pathology
Music

Making of the Modern World
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Marine Biology
Although the Scripps Institution of Oceanography originated in 1892 as a marine station for the Department of Zoology of the University and operated from 1903 to 1912 as the Marine Biological Association of San Diego, the Department of Marine Biology was relatively new in the mid-1960's. Until recently, the graduate students pursued advanced degrees in marine biology at the Scripps institution under the auspices of the appropriate departments or fields of study at Berkeley or Los Angeles. In addition to thesis research, upper division and graduate courses were offered in such areas as oceanography, biology of the sea, marine biochemistry, marine microbiology, phytoplankton, marine invertebrates, biology of fishes, and comparative biology.

A million dollar grant was awarded by the Rockefeller Foundation in 1954 to enlarge the faculty and expand the teaching and research programs in marine biology. A group consisting of Professors Adriano A. Buzzati-Traverso, Denis L. Fox, Francis T. Haxo, Carl L. Hubbs, John D. Isaacs, Martin W. Johnson, and Claude E. ZoBell petitioned for authorization to offer a study program leading to advanced degrees in marine biology at La Jolla. The marine biology curriculum was approved in October, 1956. In the meantime, the Division of Marine Biology was organized under the chairmanship of ZoBell, who served from July, 1956 until May, 1960. During this period, Professors Edward W. Fager, Ralph A. Lewin, Per F. Scholander, and Benjamin E. Volcani joined the faculty. Hubbs was acting chairman of the division from May 15 until September 10, 1960, when Haxo assumed the chairmanship. Fox served as acting chairman during periods of Haxo's absence.

In October, 1960, the marine biology faculty requested the establishment of a department. This status was approved by the Regents in October, 1962. Professor Andrew A. Benson joined the faculty in August, 1962. After serving ten months as lecturer in marine biology, Richard H. Rosenblatt became an assistant professor in May, 1965. At that time, Theodore Enns was a lecturer in physiology and E. Yale Dawson, David Jensen, A. Baird Hastings, Charles R. Schroeder, and Thomas W. Whitaker were research associates in the department. source

to top

Materials Science
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics was formally established in September, 1963, with the appointment of a chairman. Prior to this time some research projects and seminars in mathematics were conducted by visiting professors (in 1962-63) under the auspices of a campus Committee on Mathematics (Carl Eckart, chairman) within the physics department.

The first year was largely devoted to the recruitment of faculty and preparation of graduate and undergraduate curricula, but some graduate instruction was offered. In September, 1964, the department started full-fledged operation with six professors and two assistant professors, approximately 30 graduate students, and 180 undergraduates (freshmen). On February 1, 1965, the department's programs for instruction leading to the M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in mathematics were approved.

The graduate program in 1964-65 provided basic full-year courses in real and complex analysis, modern algebra and topology, a year course on Methods of Applied Mathematics, and one on Numerical Analysis. In addition, seminars on algebra, topology, and functional analysis were conducted for advanced students. A weekly colloquium was held and frequent special lectures by visiting lecturers, especially in connection with recruitment of additional faculty, were given.

The department began the year 1965-66 with a considerably expanded staff of 12 regular and five visiting (or acting) members of all professorial ranks. All senior members of the department had federal research grants. The fields represented in the department were real analysis, complex analysis, the classical theory as well as modern developments, functional analysis, differential geometry, partial differential equations, probability, and numerical analysis. The department planned to develop strength in algebra and topology, further areas of analysis, and applied mathematics. The graduate program was expanded by additional courses in partial differential equations, functional analysis, and probability. A program providing for the undergraduate major in mathematics and service courses to other fields was offered. The campus-wide computer center had a close association with the department. source

Mathematics and Science Education
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Mechanical Engineering
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Molecular Biophysics
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Molecular Pathology
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Music
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

 

 
 
the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.