San Francisco: Colleges and Schools
School of Dentistry
School of Medicine
School of Nursing
School of Pharmacy
School of Dentistry
The College of Dentistry was established
as an integral part of the University on September 7, 1881 by the
Regents, acting on the recommendation of the medical faculty. For
ten years the medical faculty generously provided the college with
lecture rooms, technical laboratories, and clinics in the Medical
School. In some divisions, instruction was given to medical and
dental students jointly.
In 1891, instruction in the dental curriculum,
except the work in anatomy, was moved to the Donohoe Building at
the corner of Market and Taylor Streets, San Francisco, and was
continued there for nine years. Instruction in anatomy was transferred
in 1898 to the buildings of the Affilliated Colleges and a year
later all instruction in dentistry, except clinical work, was moved
to a new dental building on that site. The clinics remained in the
Donohoe Building until 1906, when the building was destroyed by
earthquake and fire.
All divisions of the College of Dentistry were
on the Parnassus Avenue campus by July, 1906, where, at what was
later known as the Medical Center, there was a gradual coordination
of the teaching and research of the School of Dentistry, the School
of Medicine, the School of Nursing, the School of Pharmacy, and
the several campus-wide research centers and institutes.
In September, 1954, the College of Dentistry offered
instruction for the first time in its new quarters in the Medical
Sciences Building. It occupied four floors in this building, as
well as two floors in the adjacent Clinics Building.
By action of the Academic Senate in 1956, the
College of Dentistry was changed to the School of Dentistry. There
were approximately 300 dental students, 48 dental hygiene students,
and 20 postgraduate and graduate students in the school by the mid-1960's.
School of Medicine
The second medical school in the far west
was founded in San Francisco in 1864 by Dr. Hugh H. Toland, a graduate
of the University of Transylvania at Lexington who migrated to the
Pacific coast during the Gold Rush. It was later deemed desirable
to affiliate the Toland Medical College with the University of California.
Dr. Richard Beverly Cole was chosen as the new dean of the college,
and negotiations were carried on with President Daniel Coit Gilman.
In 1873, Toland's college became the Medical Department of the University.
The earthquake and fire of 1906 destroyed the
outpatient department and a large number of private and public hospitals
in the city, giving rise to a serious bed shortage. This led to
the establishment of the first University hospital, under the leadership
of Dr. Harry Mitchell Sherman, professor of surgery. Space was obtained
in the medical school building by relocating the first two years
of medical school instruction in Berkeley. Male and female wards
were established in the upper floors of the building, and an outpatient
department was formed in the basement. Other hospital accommodations
were soon required and under the leadership of Dr. Herbert Moffitt,
funds were obtained from private sources to construct the University
of California Hospital in 1917. The outpatient department outgrew
its basement accommodations and subsequent planning culminated in
occupancy of the present Outpatient Clinic Building in 1934.
A later plan was developed to provide a new teaching
hospital and a Medical Sciences Building. Funds were appropriated
by the legislature for the construction of the Herbert C. Moffitt
Hospital, which opened in 1955, and for the erection of the Medical
Sciences Building which was completed in 1958. After a lapse of
52 years, all classes of the medical school were returned to the
San Francisco campus.
Rapid growth and extension of the scope and depth
of programs in all fields and disciplines of the health sciences
made it necessary to obtain further facilities. By action of the
state legislature, and with assistance from federal agencies, the
San Francisco Medical Center campus opened new Health Sciences Instruction
and Research Buildings in 1965-66. Completion of these facilities
would permit the accommodation of 128 medical students in each of
the classes of the School of Medicine, and wouls provide increased
opportunities for teaching and research in all of the professional
schools and in graduate academic programs. source
School of Nursing
The University of California Training School
for Nurses was established in San Francisco in 1907 and in 1909,
Lillian Cohen became its first graduate. A three-year non-degree
curriculum was continued until 1934. In 1917, a five-year curriculum
leading to a baccalaureate degree was adopted.
Instruction in public health nursing was first
offered to graduate nurses on the Berkeley campus in 1918 and in
1925, additional curricula in nursing education and nursing service
administration were initiated.
In 1939, the Board of Regents authorized the creation
of a School of Nursing to administer all curricula in nursing leading
to the bachelor of science degree. In 1949, a program for graduate
nurses leading to the master of science degree in nursing was authorized.
In 1959, programs for graduate nurses at bachelor's and master's
degree levels were transferred from the Berkeley campus to the San
Francisco Medical Center campus.
The School of Nursing was organized as an autonomous
school under the direction of a dean who was responsible to the
chancellor of the San Francisco Medical Center. The program leading
to the bachelor of science degree was five academic years in length
and included two years of pre-nursing general education and three
years in the School of Nursing. Graduate programs were offered in
the areas of maternal-child, medical-surgical, psychiatric, and
public health nursing. The primary function of graduate programs
was to prepare nurses for leadership positions in nursing education
and nursing service and for research.
Between 1907 and 1936, a total of 660 nurses
completed the diploma program. Since 1917, a total of 2,616 have
completed the baccalaureate program in nursing and since 1949, a
total of 328 completed the master's degree program. source
School of Pharmacy
The School of Pharmacy was first established
as the California College of Pharmacy on July 10, 1872, and was
incorporated as a private college on August 7 of that year. It was
the first college of pharmacy located west of the Mississippi.
On June 2, 1873, the college became affiliated
with the University of California under the "Organic Act" of the
University, which permitted the college to maintain autonomy in
its operation by retaining its own board of trustees and business
management. Under the terms of this agreement, the degree of graduate
in pharmacy was to be conferred by the University upon the candidates
recommended by the college. The college held its inauguration exercises
on July 8, 1873, soon after affiliating with the University; there
were 27 students in the first class.
Over the years the curriculum of the School of
Pharmacy was improved and extended so that it included a minimum
of two years of pre-professional education as a requirement for
admission and four years of professional study in the school. Students
completing this curriculum were granted the professional degree,
doctor of pharmacy.
During and after the 1930's, the school pioneered
in upgrading pharmaceutical education from a four-year to a five-year
and finally to a six-year program. In 1937, the school initiated
graduate instruction leading to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in pharmaceutical
By 1965, the school had facilities to accommodate
80 students in each class of the professional curriculum and approximately
40 students in the graduate program.
Prior to 1934, the College of Pharmacy was organized
in departments comprising pharmacy, chemistry, botany, materia medica,
and physiology and hygiene. In 1934, at the time the college became
an integral part of the University, the departmental structure was
discontinued, and the college operated as a single department with
the dean serving as chairman. In 1958, the Department of Pharmaceutical
Chemistry was established in the School of Pharmacy with a separate
chairman. With the expansion of the curriculum and the increase
in faculty, a Department of Pharmacy became necessary and was established
in 1965, also with a separate chairman. source