the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the San Francisco collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > San Francisco > Departments

About UC San Francisco
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers
:: Summer Sessions

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

San Francisco: Departments


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Anatomy
Anesthesia and Perioperative Care
Anthropology, History, and Social medicine

Anatomy
The first professor of anatomy in Toland Medical College was Dr. J. Newton Brown, who occupied the chair from 1864 until 1866 and was succeeded by Dr. Levi Cooper Lane; the latter resigned in 1870 and was replaced by Dr. Vansant. In 1874, a year after Toland Medical College became the Medical Department of the University, Dr. Alexander A. O'Neil was appointed professor of anatomy and elected dean. In 1878, the responsibilities of the Department of Anatomy fell upon Dr. (later Dean) Robert A. McLean; but the next year, Dr. William Lewitt became lecturer in anatomy and made his son, Dr. William B. Lewitt, his assistant. The latter was given the chair in 1884 and taught both medical and dental anatomy.

In 1891, Dr. John M. Williamson succeeded Dr. Lewitt but resigned in 1901 to become professor of genito-urinary surgery. Dr. John C. Merriam, special lecturer on comparative anatomy, and Drs. Stephen Cleary and Charles D. McGettigan then conducted courses until the chair was occupied by Dr. Joseph Marshall Flint in 1902. The latter, along with Drs. Robert O. Moody and Irving Hardesty, extensively reorganized teaching in the department and separate courses were instituted on histology, microscopic organology, neurology, osteology, regional anatomy, and organogenesis. In addition, a course in special anatomy for physicians and advanced students was established, and opportunities provided for capable students to undertake research. The earthquake in 1906 resulted in the transfer of the Department of Anatomy from Parnassus Heights to the Berkeley campus, where it remained until 1958.

For the next six years, the responsibility of instruction rested with Drs. Hardesty and Moody until the appointment of Dr. Herbert M. Evans to the chair in 1915. Interest in experimental research was now intensified, and the department received international recognition for studies on vital dyes, the estrous cycle of the rat, pituitary growth hormone, and the discovery of vitamin E. From 1931 on, much of the departmental research was undertaken in the Institute of Experimental Biology, Berkeley campus, under the direction of Dr. Evans, who had the valuable cooperation of Drs. Miriam E. Simpson, Alexei A. Koneff, William R. Lyons, Choh Hao Li, Marjorie M. Nelson, and many others. In 1934, the chair was occupied by Dr. I. Maclaren Thompson, who was succeeded in 1937 by Dr. J. B. deC. M. Saunders; the latter held the chairmanship until 1956, when he was appointed dean, School of Medicine (later provost, then chancellor, San Francisco campus). Dr. W. O. Reinhardt then became chairman, resigning in 1963, when he was appointed dean, School of Medicine; he was succeeded by Dr. Ian W. Monie. In 1960, a section on experimental endocrinology was established as a subdivision of the department.

The Department of Anatomy provided instruction and research opportunities for medical and graduate academic students, medical graduates, postdoctoral fellows, and visitors from overseas. Research was undertaken in endocrinology, teratology, embryology, immunology, hematology, organ culture, electron microscopy, and on the nervous, cardiovascular, and locomotor systems. Two staff members were honored as Faculty Research Lecturers. Dr. H. M. Evans (at Berkeley in 1925 and at San Francisco in 1959) and Dr. W. R. Lyons (at San Francisco in 1963). source

to top

Anesthesia and Perioperative Care
Prior to 1900, faculty surgeons taught anesthetic methods and agents to medical students as a sidelight to surgery. By 1918, the Announcement of Courses stated that the Department of Surgery gave "lectures and demonstrations in the physiology of respiration and circulation. . .and the effects of anesthetics," and that fourth-year students would "administer anesthetics under the supervision of members of the department." During the 1920's and 1930's anesthetics were administered or supervised by physicians employed by the hospital as a service function. They were mostly self-taught. Elective practical courses in anesthesia were available to the medical students during this period.

In 1940 Dr. Herbert M. Hathaway was the first physician to have a full-time faculty appointment in the discipline of anesthesia. In 1941 he was made chairman of a newly created Division of Anesthesia in the Department of Surgery. Under Dr. Hathaway, a postdoctoral residency program was initiated. Dr. Frank J. Murphy became the chairman in 1947 and remained until shortly before departmental status was granted in 1958.

On July 1, 1958, the Department of Anesthesia was established and Dr. Stuart C. Cullen was named chairman. Under his guidance, a research program headed by Dr. John Severinghaus was initiated and the postdoctoral and medical student teaching program strengthened. From five faculty and ten resident positions in 1958, the department's faculty grew to ten full-time positions supported by the University, three research positions supported by the National Institutes of Health and two clinical positions supported by other funds by the mid-1960's. The residency training program grew to 23 residency positions and four research trainee positions.

Responsibility for the anesthesia service and teaching at the San Francisco General Hospital was assumed by the department in 1959. The same year saw an affiliation formed with the Children's Hospital of the East Bay for special instruction in pediatric anesthesia. In 1962 supervision and teaching of obstetrical anesthesia was undertaken and implemented by a full-time faculty appointment. Since 1963 the department had approval for a three-year residency program. Expansion in 1965 came with the appointment of a full-time faculty member for teaching, research, and patient care in the intensive care unit of Moffitt Hospital. By 1965 13 clinical appointees assisted in the teaching program on a part-time basis. source

to top

Anthropology, History, and Social Medicine
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

 

 
 
the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.