San Francisco: Departments
Biochemistry and Biophysics
A separate Department of Biochemistry and
Pharmacology was established in the Medical School in 1916 with
T. Brailsford Robertson as its first professor and head. He resigned
in 1918. Other department chairmen have been Walter R. Bloor, 1918-22;
Carl L. A. Schmidt, 1922-45; David M. Greenberg, 1945-48 and 1950-63;
Wendell M. Stanley, 1948-50; Harold Tarver, after 1963.
Faculty members who strongly influenced the early
development of the teaching of physiological chemistry in the medical
school in the predepartment period were Jacques Loeb (professor
of physiology, 1903-1910) and Alonzo E. Taylor (professor of pathology,
Between 1903 and 1916, physiological chemistry,
later changed in name to biochemistry, was taught in the physiology
department. Prior to this, lectures on chemistry were included in
the medical curriculum as early as 1874. This was changed over the
years from general chemistry to clinical chemistry and by 1903 to
chemical physiology. The course in physiological Chemistry achieved
essentially its mid-1960's state in 1912.
Between 1906 and 1958, biochemistry, along with
other first-year medical subjects, was taught on the Berkeley campus.
In 1958, it moved to quarters in San Francisco.
The development of graduate study in biochemistry
started slowly but grew steadily. Authorization to offer the master's
and doctor of philosophy degrees appeared to date from 1916. The
first Ph.D. degree was conferred in 1917 to the late Professor John
A. Marshall. With the growth of the University the enrollment of
graduate students increased at an accelerated rate. By the mid-1960's,
about 150 Ph.D. degrees had been awarded in biochemistry from this
department. A gratifying number of these graduates achieved distinction
in their scientific and academic careers. New departments of biochemistry
were established on the Berkeley and Davis campuses as outgrowths
of this, the parent department.
With the growing importance of graduate
study in biochemistry, various advanced courses were established
for the academic preparation of students in the ever-growing body
of biochemical knowledge. source
There is no history currently available
for this department.