University of California: Universitywide and Affiliated
Education Abroad Program
Energy Institute, University of California
Abroad Program (EAP)
The Education Abroad Program was inaugurated with studies commencing
in the fall of 1961. Samuel B. Gould, then chancellor at Santa Barbara,
who had initiated nationally known study abroad programs while president
of Antioch College, played a leading role in the creation of the
program and it was based at the Santa Barbara campus. The first
study center was established at the University of Bordeaux, France,
for the academic year 1962-1963, and its pronounced success led
to the expansion of the program.
During the 1960s, William H. Allaway administered the program under
the direction of the chancellor at Santa Barbara and a University-wide
faculty committee appointed by the President. Each study center
was administered by a director, and in larger centers an associate
director, drawn from the university-wide faculties.
The staffs of these centers would advise the students on academic
matters, assist with housing and other problems, plan field trips
and provide information on cultural opportunities. The program emphasized
full integration of students into the life of the cooperating university.
Most University of California credit courses were created by supplementing
regular lectures and seminars of the host university with special
weekly or semi-weekly tutorial sessions that were designed to give
breadth and unity to the specialized lectures characteristic of
universities in many countries. Generally, students could expect
to make normal or nearly normal progress toward their degree.
During the 1960s, the participants spent their academic year abroad
taking the regular classes of the host university in a variety of
fields. As a result, they could succeed only if they had a workable
command of the language. Students going to study centers where the
language of instruction was not English had to complete at least
two years in the language before admission to the program. In addition,
a six-week course of intensive language instruction was given at
the host university before the regular academic year begins.
In the 1960s, the Asian programs were the only options for students
to study in bilingual universities in which instruction was given
in both English and the local language. Most enrolled in classes
given in English, although some enrolled in or audited courses given
in Chinese or Japanese. All participants were required to spend
part of their time studying the principal language of the host university.
By the year 2000, however, the program had expanded such that students
could study in a number of countries without speaking a second language.
Some of the countries with no language requirements were Australia,
Barbados, Egypt, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Korea, Mexico,
Netherlands, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, and Turkey.
Several EAP programs also began offering short-term as well as summer
In 2004, around 4500 students enrolled. By then, a total of 40,000
UC students had participated in over 150 universities in almost
Education Abroad Centers as of 1967:
The Chinese University of Hong Kong center was established in 1965-66
at Chung Chi College, one of the three "foundation colleges"
of the University. From the start, the college had broad course
offerings both in Chinese and in English, even though the study
center program there was limited to a relatively small number of
participants, both graduate and undergraduate. Participants who
did not know Chinese enrolled in an intensive language program before
the beginning of the academic year.
Delphi, Greece: A study center for classical drama was established
along highly specialized lines for advanced students of classical
theater, dramatic literature, classical literature, and archaeology.
The program at Delphi extended over spring and summer quarters.
Unfortunately, the program did not extend past the 20th century.
King George II of England founded George August University in Goettingen
in 1737. The study center was founded there in 1963-64. The particular
strength of the science faculties at this university attracted a
large number of science majors. In Goettingen the large number of
tutorials broadened the range of courses open to university students.
International Christian University near Tokyo was the collaborator
in the University's first study center in Asia. It was established
in the fall of 1964. The International Christian University was
a bilingual institution, and was unique in Japan for the quality
of its language training in both Japanese and English. In addition
to the study of the Japanese language, students could choose among
more than three score upper division courses offered in English
in 19 fields.
The University of the Andes: Founded in 1948, the University of
the Andes was a relatively small but thriving private independent
institution. In the short period between 1948 and 1967, the university
won wide recognition for the quality of its faculty and for the
vigor with which it has developed academic programs new to Latin
America. The then newly constructed campus lay on the slope of the
beautiful Andean chain that encircled Bogotá and the environing
plains. As of 2004, EAP no longer had a program in Colombia.
The University of Birmingham: This large and important municipal
university evolved out of one of the science colleges established
in the expanding industrial cities in the mid-nineteenth century.
The founding of the university by royal charter in 1900 made Birmingham
the prototype of the English civic universities. By the mid-1960s,
there were more than 5,000 students enrolled in the faculties of
arts, commerce and social science, law, medicine, science, and the
institute of education.
The University of Bordeaux, founded in 1441, is one of the oldest
and most distinguished French universities. The study center, established
in 1962, as of 1967, was the largest of the centers with an annual
enrollment of 100. In addition to courses in French language and
literature, there were numerous courses in the various social science
fields, as well as more limited offerings in such fields as art,
mathematics, and chemistry.
The University of Edinburgh: The "College of Edinburgh"
was founded in 1583 by the town council of the city of Edinburgh.
In the 1960s, this university, one of the world's most distinguished,
contained eight eminent faculties, each of which has its own special
traditions: divinity, law, medicine, arts, sciences, music, social
science, and veterinary medicine.
The University of Lund was chartered in 1666 and opened its halls
to students in 1668. It was a university of world renown and next
to Uppsala the oldest university in Sweden. During the mid-1960s,
the University of Lund had faculties of theology, law, medicine,
the humanities, social science, mathematics, and the natural sciences.
University of California students will be primarily enrolled in
the latter four faculties.
The University of Madrid study center was opened for the academic
year 1964-65. During the 1960s, it was one of the largest of the
programs abroad. The University of Madrid was founded in the 16th
century and had grown into a large, cosmopolitan institution of
some 30,000 students. The then new University City, with its modern
classroom buildings, laboratories, and residences was considered
one of the finest in Europe.
The University of Padua study center was established in 1963-64.
The University of Padua is one of the oldest European universities
and is noted for its distinguished students--among them Copernicus--and
its distinguished teachers--among them Galileo. Participants at
Padua enroll largely in courses in Italian language and literature,
art history, European history, political science and anthropology.
The University of Sussex: The first of seven English universities
developed in the 1960s, the University of Sussex in Brighton received
its royal charter in 1961. This vital institution expected to build
a community of some 3,000 students by 1967. Sussex sought to follow
Oxford's tradition of the individual tutorial.
The University of St. Andrews was founded in 1411. The University's
two colleges at St. Andrews emphasized the arts, humanities, pure
science, divinity, and pre-clinical medicine. Queen's College, laying
across the Tay in Dundee, had been a part of St. Andrews University
since 1953 and emphasizes social sciences, engineering, law, clinical
medicine, and dentistry. source
Institute, University of California (UCEI)
The UCEI, originally the Universitywide Energy Research Group (UERG),
was established at Berkeley in December 1980 after more than a year
of careful review and planning in response to UC President David
Saxon's initiative on the subject. It united energy research across
the nine campuses and three UC-managed national laboratories.
In April 1981, 32 proposals won $220,000 in grants,
spearheading the first research projects of the institute. They
ranged from a social/behavioral study in conservation at UC Santa
Cruz to research in marine radioisotopes at the Scripps Institute
of Oceanography at UC San Diego. The next year, the Energy Science
and Technology Program and California Energy Studies, the Institute's
main grant organizations were launched. EST provides seed-grants
to new projects within the University of California, and CES funds
studies that pertain specifically to the problems of California
itself, with a special attention to policy. Since then, the Institute
has funded many prominent research programs, including the Program
on Workable Energy Regulation (POWER), which applies academic research
to California energy problems, the California Institute for Energy
Efficiency (CIEE), a research organization for such issues as air
quality impacts of energy efficiency, and the Center for the Built
Environment (CBE), who apply cutting-edge energy research to civil