the UC History Digital Archives
the UC History Digital Archives

Home > General History > Universitywide and Affiliated Institutions


print-friendly format

University of California: Universitywide and Affiliated Institutions


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z  sources

Genetic Resources Conservation Program (GRCP)
Geophysics and Planetary Physics, Institute of (IGPP)
Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics
Global Conflict and Cooperation, Institute on

Genetic Resources Conservation Program (GRCP)
The University of California Biotechnology Research and Education Program (UC BREP) was established in 1985 to fund emerging research into the many aspects of biotechnology. Some of UC BREP's explored fields of study were agriculture, biochemical engineering, biomaterials science, biomedicine, computer science, economics, environmental sciences, and nanotechnology. Within 17 years of its inception, the program had granted over $20 million to over 800 graduate students and postdoctoral scholars at UC-related campuses, laboratories and research stations. source

to top

Geophysics and Planetary Physics, Institute of (IGPP)
The Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics (IGPP) was established to encourage fundamental research and graduate instruction in the physics and chemistry of the solid earth, the oceans, and the atmosphere.

Founded in 1946 as the Institute of Geophysics and guided for its first 14 years by Dr. L. B. Slichter, professor emeritus of geophysics, the institute was established with the provision that it would be University-wide in the activities and appointment of its members, and that its staff would be tenured faculty members. By December 1963, institute research had resulted in 356 published technical papers. A technical conference for members was held annually.

By the mid-1960s, the institute offered graduate instruction through the associated departments of physics, mathematics, meteorology, astronomy, geology, and chemistry.

In 1960 the words "and Planetary Physics" were added by the Regents to the institute's title, extending research responsibility to other planets and interplanetary space. The Space Sciences Center was created to develop facilities for space-related research, promote interdepartmental programs of education and research in the space sciences, and to administer funds provided for space-related research in the physical and biological sciences and engineering.

In the 1960s, Institute funds were provided chiefly by the University and by federal agencies. Other sources were grants and gifts from the petroleum and mining industries.

Over the next forty years, IGPP expanded its locations from one base at the UCLA campus to seven branches at other locations. The UCSD branch, originally called "IGPP La Jolla Laboratories within Scripps Institute of Oceanography", was established in 1962. Soon after, in 1967, an IGPP branch was established at UC Riverside. Eventually, Los Alamos National Laboratory (1980), Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (1982), and UC Santa Cruz (1982) joined the family of IGPP branches.

The Institute continued to grow as a Multicampus Research Unit ; it added branches at UC Irvine and UC Berkeley (2001) and became internationally renown for its advances in Geophysics and Planetary Physics. source

to top

Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics
This foundation for the study of agricultural economics was established February 2, 1928 with the acceptance by the Regents of a $1.5 million grant from the Bancitaly Corporation in honor of its organizer and president, Mr. A. P. Giannini. It was first housed on Berkeley campus in Giannini Hall, which was dedicated on October 21, 1930. Eventually, it also established offices at Davis and Riverside campuses.

The primary activity of the foundation was to carry out research in the field of agricultural economics, including the economics of production and marketing, the relation of agriculture to the United States and the international economies, and the economic and living conditions of farm families. Study projects were undertaken in the areas of agricultural production, processing, marketing, and distribution; economic determinants of supply and demand; natural resource development and use; and in public policy regarding agriculture and urban expansion.

During the 1960s, the foundation was closely associated with the Department of Agricultural Economics, whose chairman was also director of the foundation. Statewide specialists of the Agricultural Extension Service, who were engaged in work in agricultural economics, were foundation associates.

By 1965, the foundation's research library contained approximately 12,000 books, over 2,000 serials--including 700 periodicals--and a large collection of pamphlets.

The activities of the foundation, in conjunction with the Department of Agricultural Economics, have extended to both the Berkeley, Riverside, and Davis campuses, and also abroad in cooperative activities with the Centro di Specializzazione e Richerche Economico-Agrarie per il Mezzogiorno, University of Naples, Italy, and with the U.S. AID-California program in Chile. source

to top

Global Conflict and Cooperation, Institute on
The Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation (IGCC) formed in 1983 as a Multicampus Research Unit devoted to international peace. The IGCC first focused on researching arms control and reducing the risk of nuclear war. Since then, the IGCC expanded their research to cover topics such as regional relations, international environmental policy, international migration, and the effects of globalization.

IGCC was based on the San Diego campus, but supported research and education on international topics throughout the 10 UC campuses, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and Los Alamos National Laboratory. By the end of the 21st century, IGCC had become one of the largest institutions of research on international relations in the United States. source

to top


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z  sources

the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 07/07/04 .