the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the Berkeley collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > Berkeley >

Administrative Officers


About UC Berkeley
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers
:: Summer Sessions

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

print-friendly format

Berkeley: Administrative Officers

Chief Campus Officers
The President of the University was the chief administrative officer at Berkeley until July, 1952. Between 1945 and 1947, however, delegation of "full authority, under the president, to administer the (academic) departments on the campus" was granted to a provost--at that time Monroe E. Deutsch. Following the retirement of Deutsch in 1947, the President again assumed direct administrative control of the campus until July, 1952, when the first chancellor was appointed and directed to assume operating jurisdiction over the colleges, schools, and other organizational units on the Berkeley campus in accordance with the policies of the Regents and of the President of the University. source

Clark Kerr, 1952-58
Clark Kerr was the first officer of the Berkeley campus to be designated chancellor. Born at Stony Creek, Pennsylvania, May 17, 1911, he was educated at Swarthmore College (A.B. 1932), Stanford University (M.A. 1933), and the Berkeley campus (Ph.D. in economics, 1939). He taught at Antioch College, Stanford University, and the University of Washington before joining the Berkeley faculty in 1945 as associate professor and later full professor of industrial relations and director of the Institute of Industrial Relations. In 1952, he was named chancellor of the Berkeley campus, a post he occupied until 1958, when he became President of the University. As the first chancellor, he determined the organization and scope of the office; long-range academic and physical development plans (including development of the Student Center complex) were formulated during his administration. He also worked to improve communication between the University and the city of Berkeley. source

to top

Glenn Theodore Seaborg, 1958-61
Glenn Theodore Seaborg, the second chancellor at Berkeley, was born at Ishpeming, Michigan, April 19, 1912, and attended the Los Angeles campus (A.B. 1934) and Berkeley (Ph.D. in chemistry, 1937). From 1937, he was engaged in teaching and research at Berkeley; in 1941, he was an assistant professor and later full professor of chemistry. On leave to the Metallurgical Laboratory at the University of Chicago from 1942 to 1946, he was connected with the Manhattan Project, returning to Berkeley to direct nuclear chemical research (1946-54). He became associate director of the Lawrence Radiation Laboratory in 1954 and also served as Berkeley chancellor from 1958 to 1961, when he was appointed to the chairmanship of the United States Atomic Energy Commission, a position he held until he returned to the Berkeley campus in 1971. He resumed his associate directorship of the Lawrence Radiation Laboratory, was named University Professor of Chemistry, and was appointed the first Chairman of the Lawrence Hall of Science in 1984. He was co-discoverer of nine transuranium elements, including plutonium, and two fissionable isotopes and was awarded the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 1951. The campus academic plan was first put into effect under his administration; the physical plan was carried forward with the construction of a number of buildings, including Kroeber Hall, the Student Union, and the Dining Commons. He died in 1999. source

to top

Edward William Strong, 1961-65
Edward William Strong, the third Berkeley chancellor, was born at Dallas, Oregon, October 16, 1901, and was educated at Stanford University (A.B. 1925) and Columbia University (M.A. 1929; Ph.D. in philosophy, 1937). He lectured at City College of New York before coming to the Berkeley campus as a lecturer in 1932; in 1936 he was appointed an assistant professor and in 1947 a full professor of philosophy. From 1942-45, he was the laboratory manager of the Lawrence Radiation Laboratory. He served as chairman of the department of sociology and social institutions as well as chairman of the department of philosophy; he also served as associate dean of the College of Letters and Science, vice-chairman of the Berkeley division of the Academic Senate, and consultant to the United States Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Named chancellor of the Berkeley campus in 1961, he held that post until 1965, having previously been vice-chancellor in charge of academic affairs and acting chancellor. As chancellor, he was involved in planning for the change from a campus of extensive growth to one of intensive growth. Buildings constructed during his administration include Latimer, Barrows, Wurster, and Etcheverry Halls. In 1965, he was named Mills Professor of Intellectual and Moral Philosophy and Civil Polity. He continued teaching until retirement in 1967. His death occurred in his Berkeley home on January 13, 1990. source

to top

Martin Meyerson, 1965
Martin Meyerson was acting chancellor at the Berkeley campus from January to July, 1965. Born in New York City, November 14, 1922, he attended Columbia University (A.B. 1942) and Harvard University (M.C.P.--master of city planning--1949). He taught at the Universities of Chicago, Yale, and Pennsylvania and was director of the Joint Center for Urban Studies at Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology before coming to the Berkeley campus in 1963 as professor of urban development and dean of the College of Environmental Design. In addition to his academic experience, he was a member of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission, executive director of the American Council to Improve Our Neighborhoods, and a member of the Committee for Economic Development. Taking office at the height of a campus controversy concerning student rights and privileges, he advanced efforts to develop new teaching methods and to improve relationships among students, administration and faculty members. source

to top

Roger William Heyns, 1965-71
Roger William Heyns was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan, January 27, 1918. He studied at Calvin College (A.B. 1940) and at the University of Michigan (M.A. 1942; Ph.D. in psychology, 1949). He joined the University of Michigan faculty in 1947, receiving the Outstanding Teacher Award in 1952 and the Faculty Distinguished Service Award in 1958. He was appointed dean of the College of Literature, Science, and Arts in 1958 and vice-president for academic affairs in 1962. He came to Berkeley as chancellor in 1965 and left the position in 1971 to become president of the American Council on Education. From 1977 to 1993, he directed the Hewlett-Packard Foundation in Palo Alto. source

to top

Albert H. Bowker, 1971-80
Albert Bowker succeeded Roger Heyns as Berkeley chancellor in 1971 and served until 1980. He attended M.I.T. (A.B. 1943) and Columbia (Ph.D. in mathematics, 1949). He served on the faculty of Stanford from 1947 to 1963, and was chancellor of City College of New York from 1963 to 1971. Though state allocations to Berkeley were reduced during Bowker's tenure, he was able to raise funding for Bechtel Engineering Center and the Optometry Center (Minor Hall). In 1980, Bowker resigned to join President Jimmy Carter's cabinet as the U.S. Assistant Secretary for Post-Secondary Education. Following that, he became Dean of the School of Public Affairs at the University of Maryland from 1981-84. In recent years he has returned to Berkeley as Professor of Statistics, Emeritus, and is often seen on campus. source

to top

Ira Michael Heyman, 1980-90
Ira Michael Heyman continued his long history of service to the Berkeley campus when he was appointed chancellor in 1980. Heyman joined the Law faculty in 1959 and served as vice-chancellor starting in 1974. Heyman completed his undergraduate degree at Dartmouth College and received his law degree from Yale University. As chancellor, Heyman presided over the renovation of sciences buildings and curriculum. He also worked to expand the amount of support to the University through private donors. During his years as chancellor, the ethnic diversity of the student population increased significantly: by 1990, non-white undergraduates represented 51 percent of the student body. When Heyman left the chancellorship in 1990, he returned to teaching law and was named secretary of the Smithsonian Institution in 1994. source

to top

Chang-Lin Tien, 1990-1997
Chang-Lin Tien assumed the chancellorship of Berkeley in 1990. Originally a native of China, Tien recieved degrees from National Taiwan University (1955), the University of Louisville (M.M.E. 1957), and Princeton University (M.A. 1957, Ph.D. 1959). He joined Berkeley's Mechanical Engineering faculty in 1959 and was that department's chair from 1974 to 1981. He served as executive vice chancellor at Irvine from 1988-1990. Tien continued former chancellor Heyman's drive for private support for Berkeley and became an outspoken defender of affirmative action. Many important building projects were completed under his tenure, including the Haas School of Business, the new Main Stack of Doe Library, Soda Hall for computer sciences, and the University Health Service's Tang Center. Chang-Lin Tien left the chancellorship in 1997. source

to top

Robert M. Berdahl, 1997-
In 1997, Robert M. Berdahl became Berkeley's eighth chancellor. Much of his energy has been devoted to upgrading the campus' infrastructure, including major seismic renovations and investment in library collections development. He also reorganized and reformed the campus's administration, addressing needs in several areas--including increasing women and minority faculty and strengthening the use of information technology in the classroom. Berdahl came to Berkeley from the University of Texas at Austin, where he served as its President for four years. Berdahl attended Augustana College (B.A.), and the University of Illinois (M.A.). He received his Ph.D. in history from the University of Minnesota in 1965. source

to top

 
 
the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.