the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the Los Angeles collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > Los Angeles >

Student Services


About UC Los Angeles
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers
:: Summer Sessions

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

print-friendly format

Los Angeles: Student Services

Student Personnel Services at Los Angeles operated under the supervision of the dean of students in an integrated program made up of a number of offices, each of which specialized in one aspect of student life.

Financial Aid, Scholarships, Loans
Food Service
Housing Office
Placement Center
Special Services Office
Student Counseling Center
Student Health Services

Financial Aid, Scholarships, Loans
The financial aids complex on the Los Angeles campus was comprised of the once independent offices of Undergraduate Scholarships, Student Loan, and Special Services, with the addition of a Needs Analysis Section established in 1964. Although each office had its own manager, all were responsible to the financial aids coordinator who, in turn, reported to the dean of students. The coordinator was responsible for the maintenance of close coordination with the Part-Time Division of the Student and Alumni Placement Center, the Graduate Division, and the Foreign Student Office to the end that all financial resources available to students on the Los Angeles campus could be located and most of them dispensed through one office.

Between 1933 and 1937, two separate faculty committees were responsible for undergraduate scholarships and prizes. Assistants to the dean of students and his predecessors administered regular loans according to policies set forth by an administrative committee chaired by the business manager. Emergency loans were made from petty cash dispensed from a desk drawer. In the 1930s and early 1940s, part-time National Youth Administration jobs were made available to needy students through the Bureau of Occupations. In 1945, a Veterans Affairs Office was established and arranged for the payment of substantial sums to veterans of World War II and Korea. In 1951, the latter office's title was changed to the Office of Special Services.

Prior to 1945, there were few endowed scholarships available to students and the committee had to rely on small sums made available in the campus budget. Awards were made to continuing students; there were less than 100 awards available and each averaged less than $70. The UCLA Alumni Association was the first to use scholarships for recruiting purposes when in 1936 it established a freshman scholarship program. Under this program, the student's leadership potential was weighted heavily in the selection process. In the late 1950s, the faculty committee decided to make additional awards to freshmen giving greater emphasis to high scholarship achievement and financial need. In 1962, recruiting of scholars was further assisted when a University-wide Regents Scholarship program provided the first four-year full need scholarships.

Until 1960, the 11 members of the Faculty Scholarship Committee each did their own need analysis and spent many hours in the selection process. In that year, the committee adopted the need formula recommended by the College Scholarship Service and turned over all technical and administrative tasks to the newly appointed financial aids coordinator. By the mid-1960s, the committee confined its activities to general policy matters and research.

Although the Orabel Chilton loan fund of $500 was established in May, 1929, it was the Mira Hershey fund of $100,000 received two years later from which most of the campus' regular student loans were made previous to the advent, in 1959, of the National Defense Student Loan program. In 1942, emergency loan monies for men were contributed by the Westminster Foundation, while a dean of women's discretionary fund was first made available through friends of Dean Helen Laughlin.

Various forms of aid were added from year to year. Thus, in 1961, tuition fee waivers were granted a selected group of foreign students from developing countries. In 1965, two new sources of aid aimed at assisting students from environmentally disadvantaged backgrounds were added. The first took the form of a significant number of jobs financed under the Federal College Work-Study Program; the second made available a number of Opportunity Grants to disadvantaged students who failed to meet the high grade point average required for scholarship winners.

It is estimated that in 1965-66 alone some $5 million was available in some form of aid to assist needy students on the Los Angeles campus.

to top

Food Service
Among the facilities the Los Angeles State Normal School turned over to the University in 1919 was a cafeteria. In 1925, this cafeteria was converted to a classroom and food service facilities were relocated to feed women students in the Tower Room of Millspaugh Hall and male students at an outdoor lunch stand. In 1926, the Tower Room was condemned and an outdoor women's lunchroom and fountain were established.

After the move to the Westwood campus in 1929, a temporary student building ("The Little Green Coop'") was erected in back of College Library. This served the new campus until 1930, when Kerckhoff Hall was opened. That same year, the first on-campus residence hall (Mira Hershey Hall) came into existence, designed to house and feed 125 undergraduate women.

Expansion came in 1952 with the construction of the Home Management House, which served as a teaching laboratory for students majoring in home economics and also provided luncheon meals for students, staff, and faculty members. The Medical Center was opened in 1954 and provided food service in its coffee shop and cafeteria.

During 1958, the ASUCLA instituted a full-scale vending program on the campus and constructed a food stand at the southeast comer of the Men's Gymnasium.

Hershey Hall was expanded to house and feed 327 women. During 1959 and 1960, Dykstra and Sproul Residence Halls were opened, with dining facilities for 800 students each.

The new Student Union was completed in 1961, providing sorely needed dining facilities for the general student body. In 1963 and 1964, Rieber and Hedrick Residence Halls were opened, with dining facilities for 800 students each. By 1965, the combined food service facilities provided approximately 34,000-35,000 meals a day.

to top

Housing Office
Housing Office began operation on July 1, 1947, to serve University students, faculty and staff. It handled assignments to University residence halls and maintained listings of off-campus housing. The office was under the direction of the housing supervisor, who reported to the dean of students.

to top

Placement Center
At the Student and Alumni Placement Center, established in 1927 as an adjunct to the alumni organization, students were helped to secure short-term positions to gain experience and financial support. Alumni were provided with guidance and specific job referrals relating to career-oriented employment and, where necessary, professional and graduate school opportunities.

The center received employment notification from hundreds of business, industrial and governmental organizations throughout the United States. The campus interview visit program enabled recruiters to discuss opportunities with prospective candidates personally. Direct listing provided all center registrants with immediate and specific job information supplied by participating employers. A special referral system placed job seekers in contact with all firms which had continuous and flexible employee needs and with other individuals, services, or professional organizations which might lend specific assistance.

The center became a reservoir of knowledge regarding employment trends, training programs, position descriptions, and general occupational information.

to top

Special Services Office
Special Services Office succeeded the Office of Veterans Affairs established in 1945 to administer educational programs of returning veterans. As many as 7,000 students under the G.I. Bill of Rights and similar California state laws received monthly counseling and other services in this office. Their accreditation, and attendance reports were processed there. The office also audited their purchases of books and supplies.

In 1949, this office was placed under the administrative control of the dean of students and, a year and a half later, its name was changed to the Office of Special Services. In addition to its previous responsibilities, the office administered federal and state laws regarding the education of widows, orphans, and the dependents of veterans. It also was responsible for a program for paraplegics, blind students, and other seriously handicapped students, serving as liaison between the state Department of Vocational Rehabilitation and students enrolled under this program. Among its other tasks, the staff worked with the Architects and Engineers and Buildings and Grounds offices to see that proper facilities are provided for wheelchair students.

The office was integrated into the financial aid complex of student services in 1959 and the Office of Special Services manager reported to the financial aid coordinator. In 1965, the office was assigned special responsibility for administering phases of the College Work-Study program of the federal government. It organized off-campus projects and had the major responsibility for the employment of students under this program.

to top

Student Counseling Center
Student Counseling Center was established in 1948 on the recommendation of Milton E. Hahn, then dean of students. It was a free, confidential, professional service for the voluntary use of students. The center, which in the mid-1960s was staffed by 15 psychologists, sought to provide support and counsel for students struggling with choices in curriculum, careers, personal values, and goals. It was used by approximately 40 per cent of the students sometime before leaving the University. It also provided study aids and assisted in administrative planning.

to top

Student Health Services
Student Health Services for men and women, separately administered and housed, were established in 1918, when the campus was located on Vermont Avenue. Because nearly all the students then attending the Southern Branch were commuters, they were thought to need very few health services. The physicians who headed the two services spent only a few hours a week on the campus and their work was handicapped by inadequate facilities.

The move to the Westwood campus in 1928 brought little improvement. It was not until 1932 that both health services were headed by "full-time" physicians who were required to spend 20 hours per week on the campus and to be on call for emergencies.

By 1940, the Los Angeles campus had 1,000 students from homes more than 100 miles from the campus and the need for better health services became urgent. The Regents, on the recommendation of President Sproul, voted to advance $300,000 for a health service building. Building plans were started and were almost complete when they had to be shelved because of the war-time steel shortage. In lieu of a new building, a section of the library building basement was remodeled into quarters for the men's and women's student health services, which were now merged into a single health service.

After the war, the state legislature appropriated $1.2 million for a student health service building. With the coming of the medical school, it was decided to use these funds to purchase space in the projected Health Sciences Center rather than to build a separate building. The postwar influx of students forced some immediate action pending construction of the Health Sciences Center. Four war surplus U. S. Air Force barracks were brought to the campus and remodeled into a temporary student dispensary.

In 1954, the student dispensary was moved to its present location on "A" level of the Center for the Health Sciences. The following year the 54-bed student hospital ward was opened. Other facilities of the center, including the emergency room, radiology department, and surgical operating suites were made available, on contract, for student use. When the neuropsychiatric unit opened, arrangements were made for student patients to use its facilities.

By the mid-1960s, with a rapid increase in numbers of students, the student dispensary again became grossly inadequate. Complete renovation, with an increase of 41 per cent in area, began in 1965.

A staff of part-time dentists who practiced in the community provided dental examinations and diagnosis and emergency dental care.

The Student Health Service was supported by a part of each student's incidental fee or by a special health fee in the case of summer session and other special students. No extra charge was made for hospital care up to 30 days, major surgery, consultations with psychiatrists or other specialists, x-ray and laboratory tests, drugs, immunizations, or any other service (except routine dentistry), which was provided or authorized by the Student Health Service.

source

to top

 
 
the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.