On November 3, 1960, Chancellor Samuel B. Gould of the Santa Barbara campus recommended to President Clark Kerr that there be an amendment to the By-Laws and Standing Orders of the Regents, Chapter XI, Section 9, Professional Schools, to include: "School of Education, at Santa Barbara, with a curriculum leading to the degree of Master of Education, and a curriculum leading to the degree of Doctor of Education." This proposal was approved by the Academic Senate on June 2, 1960. The Regents unanimously approved the amendment on May 9, 1961.
The search for a dean was immediately commenced. Their duties were envisioned as the recruitment of a scholarly faculty, formulation of a graduate program, construction of appropriate curricula, and planning a new building.
On March 14, 1963, the graduate council decided to recommend to the Academic Senate that the School of Education be authorized to grant the M.A. degree. The recommendation was unanimously approved by the Senate on March 28, 1963. In addition to advanced degree programs in curriculum research and counseling, the school provided curricula for various state credentials, including elementary teaching, secondary teaching, junior college teaching and pupil personnel services. A baccalaureate degree was required for admission to the school. source
Early recruitments to the faculty of the school included Philip F. Ordung of Yale University as chairman of the Department of Engineering; Assistant Professors Clive D. Leedham and Lawrence A. Wan in electrical engineering; and Assistant Professor Kenneth R. Bockman in engineering mechanics.
In 1964, the engineering program was reorganized and the Departments of Electrical, Mechanical, and Chemical-Nuclear Engineering were established. Otto W. Witzell of Purdue University was appointed chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
A graduate program in electrical engineering was established in 1964. The bachelor of science degree was established for the undergraduates; the first recipients of this degree graduated in June of 1965.
During its early years, the School of Engineering operations were conducted in the building formerly occupied by the Department of Industrial Arts. In March of 1965, construction of the first building of an engineering complex was started. This building was designed for undergraduate instruction, graduate instruction, and research in electrical engineering. source
From 1947 until 1958, when Santa Barbara assumed its mission as a general campus of the University, a divisional structure was administered by divisional deans. The Division of Liberal Arts, later named Division of Letters and Science, included the humanities, physical and life sciences, social sciences, and theoretical fine arts. The Division of Applied Arts included the performing arts, education, home economics, industrial arts, and physical education.
By the mid-1960's, the college comprised all departments of instruction and research except education and engineering. All freshmen enrolled in the college, and all undergraduate students were subject to the breadth requirements established by the faculty of the college. The curricula provided students with a broad understanding of our heritage in the humanities, the sciences, and the fine arts, and offered the experience of studying deeply at least one of the disciplines in these areas. Completion of the College of Letters and Science breadth requirements and the major lead to the bachelor of arts degree in a specified field. source
Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.