Between 1947 and 1965, course offerings increased from the five with which Gabel began to the 32 undergraduate and nine graduate courses that were offered in the mid-1960's. Anthropology was separated from sociology and established as an independent department in February, 1964, with Charles Erasmus as chairman.
In 1959 and 1960, Roger Owen and James Deetz joined the staff, and in 1961, Loring Brace filled the position left vacant by the death of Gabel. Erasmus joined the staff in 1962. For the fall of 1965, anthropology had a full-time faculty of ten members plus ten graduate teaching assistants.
A master's program was initiated in September, 1964, and the Ph.D. program began in September, 1965.
By the mid-1960's, over 1,500 undergraduates enrolled in anthropology courses each semester and approximately 100 of these students were majors. About 20 graduate students were working toward the Ph.D. degree by September, 1965. source
When Santa Barbara State College became a campus of the University in 1944, the department began to undergo transformation. Sculpture, art appreciation, and elementary art history were introduced (1945) and such courses as Costume Design, Fashion Illustration, and Modern Toys were eliminated (1946-47). Under the successive chairmanships of Elliott Evans and Howard Fenton (1948-58), printmaking, photography, and art history were added and facilities were planned, built, occupied.
By 1959, crafts had disappeared entirely and a program of majors in painting, sculpture, printmaking and art history superseded the emphasis on teacher training. During William Dole's chairmanship (1958-63), the faculty increased to 18, all but one a professional artist or historian. In spring, 1965 (Alfred Moir, chairman) 1,955 students were taking 49 courses from 22 instructors and the Regents approved an M.F.A. program in studio subjects.
In the new building, facilities were provided for a gallery, which became a presentation of the Sedgwick Collection and the appointment of David Gebhard as the first professional director (1960). Gallery collections were increased by the Regents' acquisition of the Morgenroth Collection (1963) and by gifts, notably the memorial to MacKinley Helm (1964). A regular exhibition and publication program was established, including the gallery's first nationally circulated exhibition (1964).
Art department activities were generously supported by a committee of local art affiliates (founded in 1960), under the chairmanship of Mr. Standish Backus. source
Courses on Asia and the Pacific were offerred by Santa Barbara State College as early as 1943. Following the incorporation of the college into the University in 1944, additional courses were introduced. In 1955-56, the interdisciplinary major in East Asian studies was first organized by D. Mackenzie Brown. Students were thus enabled to do work in anthropology, art history, and political science relating to either East Asia or South Asia. In 1958-59, a minor was also established as the foundation of the major, three semesters (12 units) being required of all students. Classical Chinese was added to the curriculum in 1964-65. With the establishment of the Tokyo-Mitaka Center this same year, students were able to study Japanese firsthand. A Japan specialist joined the history department in 1964-65. Other additions in Asian geography, philosophy, and religious studies enriched the program, as did courses in Chinese literature in translation.
The title of the program was broadened to Asian Studies in 1963-64. In 1964-65, 19 students majored in Asian studies, four receiving the A.B. degree. source
Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.