Santa Barbara: Departments
Instruction in philosophy on the Santa Barbara
campus commenced in 1938 with three courses: introduction, ethics,
and social philosophy. The campus was then Santa Barbara State College
and the instructor was Harry K. Girvetz who joined the Department
of Social Sciences in 1937.
In 1947, Paul D. Wienpahl, assistant professor,
and Herbert Fingarette, lecturer, became members of the staff. The
three philosophers introduced the major in philosophy in 1949 with
thirteen courses including: history of philosophy, logic, contemporary
philosophy, aesthetics, continental rationalism and British empiricism.
Between 1949 and 1958 the curriculum was enlarged.
Two more philosophers were recruited in 1958 and in 1959 the group
became a separate Department of Philosophy under the chairmanship
of Mr. Girvetz. The cause of this change, and of all others in the
professing of philosophy at Santa Barbara, was the development of
the campus into a liberal arts college of the University (1944)
and then into a general campus (1958). The new instructors were
Alexander Sesonske and John Wilkinson.
In 1960, the department began offering the M.A.
degree and the staff increased to seven, including Fred Hagen. Six
graduate seminars appeared in the growing list of courses. Two new
positions were created in 1963 and in 1964 the department introduced
a Ph.D. program with a staff of nine and an emphasis on the humanistic
aspects of philosophy. In 1964-65, six additional members were recruited
for 1966, Mr. Wienpahl became chairman, and the staff included professors
H. Fingarette, H. Girvetz, and P. Wienpahl; associate professor
Sesonske; assistant professors B. Noel Fleming, Hague D. Foster,
Fred W. Hagen, John King-Farlow, Charlotte L. Stough, and Joseph
S. Ullian. The number of courses totalled 42. There were 18 graduate
students and 91 majors. source
The Department of Physical Activities was
established in February, 1965, with the primary aim of providing
training in physical skills so that the student might enjoy and
continue to participate in activities that help one maintain a reasonable
level of physical fitness and provide a release from normal stress
and strain. Arthur J. Gallon was appointed as the first chairman.
The responsibilities of the department were as
follows: 1) teaching of elementary, intermediate, and advanced activity
courses required for the general student body; 2) teaching of activity
classes required by the Department of Physical Education for its
majors, minors, and teaching credential programs; 3) supervision
of men's and women's intramural programs; 4) maintenance and scheduling
of the gymnasia, pool, and athletic fields; and 5) purchase and
care of all equipment normally associated with activity classes
offered by the Department of Physical Activities. source
In 1885, four years after the Anna S. C.
Blake Training School began, the Ling System of Gymnastics was instituted.
The department was created in 1917 to improve the physical fitness
of all students and to prepare those enrolled in teaching credential
programs to instruct in physical education. The first gymnasium
was erected on the Riviera campus in 1918. Phelps Field was added
in 1929, and La Playa Field In 1939. A four-year major program of
instruction was established in the fall of 1921.
In 1944, when the University acquired the Santa
Barbara campus, the enrollment in men's and women's departments
was 100 majors with 12 faculty, five of whom were on military leave.
In September of 1954, when the Santa Barbara campus was first occupied,
the Marine Corps gymnasium and pool and several acres of grassed
areas comprised the physical facilities available on campus. Robertson
Gymnasium (completed in 1958), tennis courts, baseball diamonds,
a track oval, and other fields and outdoor courts, planned for a
student body of 3,500, were later constructed.
The long term objective of the department was
to provide a program of professional preparation and instruction
in physical activities and competition in athletics for the general
student. The physiology of exercise laboratory was started in the
Graduate studies and general secondary teaching
credential courses were inaugurated in 1958. Twenty-two master of
arts degrees were conferred, the first granted in 1960. The 1965-66
professional program, besides providing for the major in physical
education, included courses for those who sought emphases in dance,
health education, physical therapy, or physiology.
In February, 1965, a new Department of Physical
Activities was created to conduct the physical activity courses
and the intercollegiate and intramural athletic programs. The physical
education department retained curricular responsibility for the
major, the minors, the state teaching credentials, and the master's
degree program. source
Physics was offered at Santa Barbara after
1920, when the first course covered "the principles and applications
of physics laws to everyday life." From the founding of the Santa
Barbara State Normal School until 1940, the aim of the work in science
was ". . .to give the students in the different departments the
training in such courses of science as will enable them to have
a better and broader understanding of their special work."
In 1940, when a general science major was offered,
the Santa Barbara State Teachers College changed the emphasis on
the sciences. The school became a part of the University in 1944.
In 1947, a minor in physics, and in 1948, a major in physics were
offered by the Department of Physical Sciences, the immediate predecessor
of the separate Departments of Chemistry, Geology, and Physics.
The first graduate courses in physics were offered
in 1957, and the Department of Physical Sciences was authorized
to offer the M.A. degree in physics in 1958. In 1960, the Department
of Physics was formed. The first chairman was Paul H. Barrett, who
served until 1965, when Harold W. Lewis was appointed chairman.
The department was authorized to offer the Ph.D. degree in 1963.
In 1965, a faculty of 17 full-time staff members,
all holding the Ph.D. degree in physics, taught 53 courses. There
were extramurally sponsored research projects in molecular and solid
state physics, nuclear structure, and theoretical physics. In 1963,
the Central Laboratory for Radioactive Materials was completed,
and construction of a Cyclotron Building and a Physics Building
were approved by the Regents. source
The first course in political science at
Santa Barbara was taught in 1922, a year after the state legislature
had established the Santa Barbara State Teachers College with the
right to grant an A.B. degree. The course emphasized the comparative
and historical study of forms of government. In the 1930's, upper
division courses were added, beginning with the field of international
relations in 1932. By 1940, the department was able to offer a major
in political science as D. Mackenzie Brown shared the course load
with William Ellison and Harry K. Girvetz.
The college became a part of the University in
1944. A major turning point occurred in 1955, when a master of arts
degree was first offered in political science. By then, four full-time
political scientists were offering 19 undergraduate courses and
three seminars. A second turning point came in the fall of 1960,
when a separate Department of Political Science was established
under the chairmanship of Henry A. Turner, with a total of five
instructors. The new department had 132 majors and 15 graduate students,
who could choose from 24 undergraduate courses and five graduate
seminars. The emphasis in undergraduate instruction was on the fields
of political theory and public law, international relations and
comparative government; and American politics and public administration.
Seminars were taught on theory and method, international relations,
American political ideas and institutions, public policy formation,
and the governments and international relations of East Asia.
In the fall of 1962, the department also began
to offer a doctor of philosophy degree. Its first Ph.D. degree was
conferred in the summer of 1964 and the second one in 1965. The
prodigious growth of the Santa Barbara campus more than doubled
the number of students and faculty in the years since 1960. In 1964-65,
543 undergraduates and 42 graduate students were enrolled in political
science. Thirteen faculty members were teaching 36 undergraduate
courses and 12 graduate seminars. In addition to the seminar subjects
mentioned earlier, graduate instruction included political theory,
public law, comparative government, public administration, and Latin
American and South Asian politics. source
The first course taught in psychology was
noted in the Bulletin of the Santa Barbara State Normal School
of Manual Arts and Home Economics in July, 1916. Psychology I, consisting
of 40 hours of lecture and recitation, was followed by Psychology
II, which touched on "the results of experimental work in psychology
as applied to education." This subservience of psychology to education
continued for another generation as the institution changed name
but continued with the same primary mission, that of training teachers.
The surge in enrollment in the late 1930's brought
with it a correlated increase among those teaching in this area
and the number of courses taught. By 1941, the college catalogue
showed three people instructing in psychology; 12 courses were listed,
nine of them in the upper division. A minor was offered for the
Two years after the University took over the college
(1946), a major in psychology was announced. Two introductory courses
were required, as were a course in statistics and one in experimental
psychology. Fourteen courses were listed, and three people were
A fourth faculty member was added in 1950 and
20 course offerings were available. On July 1, 1950, psychology
was split off from the education department and was made an independent
In the fall semester, 1954, graduate work was
begun for the first time, leading to a master of arts degree. There
were still only four full-time faculty members, instructing in four
lower-division, 18 upper-division, and five graduate courses.
In 1962, graduate instruction leading
to a Ph.D. was initiated in general experimental psychology (perception,
learning, physiological). Twelve were now on the instructional
staff. In September, 1964, the new psychology building was completed
and occupied. By 1965, when the Ph.D, program was expanded to
include experimental social and experimental personality, 16 were
on the faculty; there were 22 graduate students and 243 undergraduate
psychology majors. source