Santa Barbara: Departments
Before the Santa Barbara campus became a
part of the University, the antecedent state colleges had offered
a few courses in sociology within the social science department
dating from 1921; a major developed in 1940-41.
After 1944 and during the period when the Santa
Barbara campus was conceived as a small liberal arts college, a
general Department of Social Sciences continued. But in 1958, when
Santa Barbara was given its new mission, the combined department
began the process of separation into its constituent disciplines.
By 1963-64, sociology had become a separate department with a faculty
of eight members with Charles B. Spaulding as its chairman. The
new department inherited a research laboratory obtained in 1961
and a 1962 authorization to offer a program leading to the master's
In the fall of 1964, David Gold became chairman
of the department, the first candidates for the Ph.D. degree were
accepted, and a training grant was received from the National Institute
of Mental Health.
The spring semester of 1965 found the department
with 422 undergraduate majors and 28 graduate students. In the fall
of that year, the department had 21 faculty members (a few of them
part-time), 39 approved undergraduate courses, and 14 graduate courses.
It had granted five master's degrees.
While the early emphasis in the graduate program
was in the areas of social psychology, deviant behavior, and methodology,
the expanded faculty of 1965-66 made possible a much wider selection
of fields for graduate work. One of the newer developments was a
cooperative venture by the Departments of Sociology and Mathematics
to explore social structure through the use of general systems theory
and mathematical models. source
Spanish and Portugese
Spanish was first foreign language introduced
into curriculum of the Santa Barbara State Teachers College in 1921,
with Miss Mattie Ramelli as the instructor. Two Spanish literature
courses were added the following year and the study of a foreign
language became a requirement for the A.B. degree in certain areas.
A second language instructor was added in 1931, when a minor in
Spanish was established. The offerings increased gradually and a
major in Spanish was introduced in 1945, after Santa Barbara College
became a part of the University.
A Spanish department separate from foreign languages
was created in 1961. Samuel A. Wofsy, a member of the faculty since
1946, was the first chairman of the new department (1961-62). The
M.A. degree program in Spanish was initiated the same year. Manuel
Alvar, philologist and catedrático, came to direct the six
graduate courses offered during the following two years.
Winston A. Reynolds was the second chairman of
the department (1962-65), serving also (until 1964) as chairman
of the interdepartmental Hispanic Civilization Committee. Portuguese
was added to the departmental curriculum in 1963 and a modern Spanish
language laboratory was opened in May, 1963. Nine graduate students
obtained the M.A. degree in the period 1961-65. From a beginning
in 1961 of nine faculty members (full-time equivalent), 16 courses,
75 majors, and six graduate students, the Spanish department expanded
to a total of 29 faculty members, 34 courses, approximately 200
majors and 30 graduate students at the beginning of the fall semester,
Speech and Drama
When Santa Barbara became a state normal
school in 1919, courses under the direction of Egbert Ray Nichols
became available as follows: Reading and Expression, Modern Drama,
and Dramatics. With the coming of William Ashworth in 1920, English
I (Reading Aloud), Shakespeare, and Elements of Public Speaking
were added. Ashworth initiated a vigorous play production program
which has remained characteristic of this campus.
Shortly after the school achieved state college
status (1935), speech offerings expanded rapidly. With the coming
of Frederick W. Hile (1937) and Charles W. Redding (1938), basic
courses in all areas of speech were listed, a total of 51 academic
units being available. Redding laid the base for a strong continuing
forensics program. A speech major was authorized in 1940-41; and
in 1941-42, credentials in speech arts and in the correction of
speech defects. Sixty-nine semester units were listed in 1941-42.
Directly after the war years, under University direction, speech
gained departmental status and was officially listed in the 1947-48
catalogue. John C. Snidecor was the first chairman.
When the University moved to the present campus
in 1954, the department was provided with its own temporary laboratory
theatre which made it possible to strengthen the offerings in the
area of drama. Five full-time faculty members increased to 12 by
1964. By 1960-61, majors were available in rhetoric, drama, and
speech and hearing, with limited graduate work authorized. In 1964-65,
157 academic units were available, 34 of these in graduate work
leading to the M.A. degree.
In the fall of 1964, the department moved into
a new Speech and Drama Building with extensive and modern theatre
and laboratory facilities. Academic growth and developing special
interests dictated a division into two departments in 1965, the
Department of Dramatic Arts (Theodore W. Hatlen, chairman) and the
Department of Speech (Rollin W. Quimby, chairman).
By the mid-1960's, the dramatic art department
made use of its new facilities by inaugurating a summer repertory
program of three plays being given 31 performances. In addition
to playing an important part in the campus cultural life, a number
of dramatic productions toured other campuses of University, and
on two occasions Santa Barbara productions were invited to tour
In its new facility, the speech department had
equipment for research in speech pathology and audiology and services
a limited of speech handicapped children and adults as part of its
research and training program. For many years the department was
host to the annual California High Debate Tournament.
Enrollment for both departments: graduate,
23; undergraduate, 130. source
Speech and Hearing Sciences
There is no history currently available
for this department.
Statistics and Applied Probability
There is no history currently available
for this department.