Santa Barbara: Graduate Division
In 1958, when the Regents made Santa Barbara a
general campus of the University, there was only a handful of graduate
students. Shortly afterwards, advanced graduate programs were established.
In 1954, for example, there were 16 regular graduate students enrolled
and 42 characterized as "special postgraduate" students. By 1962,
there were 250 students enrolled in the Graduate Division. In the
fall semester of 1965, 930 students were registered for advanced
degrees and credentials.
There also was a remarkable increase in the number
of graduate programs offered at Santa Barbara. By the mid-1960's,
there were 24 programs leading to the M.A. degree, one to the M.S.
degree, and one to the master of fine arts degree. Furthermore,
15 departments offered programs leading to the Ph.D. degree. Other
programs were proposed, but awaited confirmation by the various
committees of the Academic Senate and by the administration.
According to the provisions of the Fisher Bill,
passed by the legislature in 1961, all teaching credentials required
post- baccalaureate study. Santa Barbara had long had a strong teacher
training program and a considerable number of students working toward
a credential. The campus expected enrollment to increase markedly
since the elementary teaching credential also required work beyond
the bachelor's degree.
Laboratory facilities, too, expanded. Inevitably,
however, they did not quite keep up with increases in enrollment.
The library moved from the status of a college library to one representative
of a university. In most fields, library holdings were adequate
for advanced graduate work. In certain fields, however, students
found it necessary to do at least a part of their work in the University
library at Los Angeles, Berkeley, or elsewhere. In 1965, graduate
enrollment was approximately 10 per cent of the total enrollment
at Santa Barbara. By the mid-1960's, the campus expected that if
enrollment trends continued, the percentage would rise rapidly.