In 1947, three years after Santa Barbara State College became a part of the University, University Village provided housing for 204 men and 87 women. University married student housing accommodated 92 student families; fraternities housed 48 men and sororities, 117 women. Accommodations used for short terms included: the Veterans' Housing Project for 89 married students in 1948 only; Hoff Heights, operating from 1949 to 1952, with occupancy ranging from 55 to 93 married students; and El Castillo Hotel, accommodating 111 women students during 1953 only.
When the University moved to the Goleta campus in 1954, the first University residence halls were occupied by 122 men students and 359 women students. That same year, 131 men were housed in fraternities and 148 women in sororities. Married student housing provided for 251 student families in 1954; from 1957 through 1961, the University did not provide housing for married students. This service was resumed in 1962.
By 1964, University residence halls accommodated 1,082 men and 930 women. Men's halls included Anacapa and San Miguel; women's halls, San Nicolas, Santa Cruz, and Santa Rosa. De la Guerra and Ortega Dining Commons for resident students are located near the residence halls. In 1964, 262 units were provided for housing married students; 322 men and 1,236 women lived in University supervised housing; 240 men lived in fraternities and 319 women in sororities.
Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.