Santa Barbara: Student Services
Financial Aids, Scholarships, Loans
Student Health Services
A close, intimate, and informal relationship between
students, faculty, and administration was a distinguishing characteristic
of the Santa Barbara campus. An important feature of this development
was the contribution made by the several student services briefly
described below. Coordination of these and related student activities
was maintained by the dean of students. Ultimate responsibility
for all student services since 1960 rested with the vice-chancellor--
Established in 1957, the center provided
professional counseling assistance to students presenting personal,
educational, and vocational concerns that impeded their effectiveness
and success. Close working relationships were maintained with the
health service, deans of colleges, department chairmen, faculty,
and staff. Consulting activities with University personnel, ranging
from deans to resident assistants, gradually became a more significant
part of the center's functions.
The food service operation is typical of
the evolutionary development that the entire campus has experienced
since the relocation of the University site from the Riviera campus
to the former U.S. Marines air base at Goleta in September, 1954.
The first dining commons was located in a wooden
frame building which had served as an officers' mess during World
War II. A staff of 45 people was recruited to serve the first 525
pioneer residence hall students. The dining commons had a seating
capacity of only 346 and had only one serving line. All cooking
equipment had been left in place by the Marines and was literally
in a constant state of repair during the duration of the use of
the building. The food service manager was responsible for menu
planning, supervising the preparation of food, food buying, sanitation
standards, complaints, and other related problems without the assistance
of any subordinates. By 1955, the residence hall capacity had increased
to 925 students, which taxed the limits of the facilities and the
ability of the staff to prepare the many meals served each day.
In January, 1959, Ortega Dining Commons was opened,
the first of two permanent dining facilities. This building had
a seating capacity of 780 students, four serving lines, and modern
equipment, including a bakery. In 1961, De la Guerra Dining Commons
was opened and shared the responsibility with Ortega of serving
1,600 students three meals a day. The seating capacity of this unit
In 1965, 2,062 residence hall students were served
three meals a day in the two permanent dining facilities. The staff
had increased from the original 45 to 105.
Financial Aids, Scholarships,
In 1897, the California State Legislature
allocated $3,500 for scholarships. The first grant to the Santa
Barbara campus from this source was made in 1951-52 and allowed
15 awards of $100 each. From 1955-56 to 1965-66, an annual amount
of $2,100 was given to the campus and these awards were later known
as "University Scholarships."
Also in 1951-52, a substantial bequest came from
a former student, Miss Juanita Noble, to establish a trust fund,
the income of which was to be used for scholarships to be known
as the Isabelle Price Memorial Scholarships. The first awards were
made in 1952-53 to six students from $1,500 which was then available.
By 1955-56, $2,250 was awarded to nine students. Since that time,
this fund usually provided $3,000 to $4,000 yearly.
In 1953, the largest single scholarship gift to
the University of California up to that time was given to the Santa
Barbara campus from the Ina Therese Campbell estate and the yearly
income from this endowment doubled the amount of money available
for awards. The first awards were made in 1953-54. A total of 68
scholarships were given by May, 1954 and that number increased gradually
from year to year.
A gift of $2,400 from the UCSB Alumni Association
for awards in 1961-62 was the beginning of local alumni assistance.
This first amount came from a combination of annual dues and bank
interest plus matching funds from the Regent, and increased yearly
since then. In November, 1961, the UCSB alumni made their first
appeal by mail to members for contributions specifically for scholarships.
The addition of many gifts, donations, and additional
programs provided by the Regents brought the total number of awards
to 400 for 1965-66, which included 69 Regents' Scholars and 15 President's
The first National Defense Student Loans, totaling
$16,222, were granted to 46 borrowers during the spring and summer
of 1959. The first full academic year 1959-60 saw this loan fund
used by 505 students. In 1964-65, the number of student borrowers
had risen to 886 and during these years, this loan program assisted
2,360 students to the extent of $1,855,203.
The Regents Loan Fund was first used at Santa
Barbara in 1963-64 to assist students in financing their participation
in the "Education Abroad Program." It provided consistent supplemental
financial aid since that time.
By the mid-1960's, financial aid included participation
in the Work-Study Program established by the Economic Opportunity
Act of 1964. This form of financial aid allowed the student to be
employed in a part-time job associated with his scholastic and vocational
goals. Through the means of one application form, all students who
were admissible to Santa Barbara and proved financial need could
be given aid through scholarships, long term loans, and/or part-time
jobs to supplement parental support.
In 1946, a part-time housing supervisor was
appointed to provide services originally performed by the personnel
deans. The supervisor was given the additional duties of personnel
manager in 1948 and held the dual appointment until 1957.
In 1965, the office placed 2,062 students in five
permanent on-campus residence halls and in 250 married student apartments
and assisted with the placement of over 6,000 students in privately-owned
Isla Vista residence halls and apartments.
A centralized placement function with a full-time
director was established in 1953. It served as a model for the centers
at the Riverside and Davis campuses. When it was established, services
were expanded to include non-teaching graduates and alumni, as well
as students seeking part-time employment. Services for teaching
credential candidates were already in existence, but the appointment
of a director provided a continuity which was absent previously
since faculty members shared the responsibility for teacher placement.
Extraordinary growth marked the center's history.
From a modest beginning of 4,100 vacancies reported in 1953-54,
the center in 1964-65 processed more than 35,000 vacancies in the
educational placement division alone. A comparable growth was noted
for the business and industrial division, while the part-time employment
division in 1964-65 assisted students in finding employment with
salaries totaling more than $354,600.
The center was operated on the principle that
placement was "career planning." Those who register were offered
vocational guidance, occupational advisement, and assistance in
career planning and job search. Files of all registrants were retained
until the candidate reached the age of 70. The center assisted the
registrant in carrying out a sequence of lifetime occupational objectives
and assembled information about the training and experience of candidates,
received vacancy data, and arranged interviews with employers.
Student Health Services
Although the past 21 years witnessed considerable
growth in student health service staff and facilities, the central
purpose remained unchanged---to conserve time for classwork and
studies by the prevention and treatment of the majority of injuries
and illnesses which students might incur during their enrollment
on the campus.
From 1944 to 1948, the health center was housed
in a small four-room building nostalgically referred to as the "health
cottage." A part-time physician and a full-time nurse constituted
the professional staff until 1947, when a full-time physician was
In 1948, a more adequate temporary structure was
added which could house seven bed-patients with a 24-hour nursing
staff and limited laboratory and x-ray facilities.
The move in 1954 to the new ocean-side campus
permitted occupancy of an existing U.S. Naval medical facility which
was maintained during World War II for the U.S. Marine Air Base.
In this facility, with periodic remodelling, alterations and additions,
the health service did, in order to meet its commitments, expand
from a full-time-equivalent staff of 11.4 persons to handle a 1954-55
average of 41 out-patient visits daily and 11 bed-patients to a
full-time-equivalent staff of 41 persons to handle a 1964-65 average
of 251 outpatient visits daily and 18 bed-patients.