A close, intimate, and informal relationship between students, faculty, and administration was a distinguishing characteristic of the Santa Barbara campus. An important feature of this development was the contribution made by the several student services briefly described below. Coordination of these and related student activities was maintained by the dean of students. Ultimate responsibility for all student services since 1960 rested with the vice-chancellor-- student affairs.
The first dining commons was located in a wooden frame building which had served as an officers' mess during World War II. A staff of 45 people was recruited to serve the first 525 pioneer residence hall students. The dining commons had a seating capacity of only 346 and had only one serving line. All cooking equipment had been left in place by the Marines and was literally in a constant state of repair during the duration of the use of the building. The food service manager was responsible for menu planning, supervising the preparation of food, food buying, sanitation standards, complaints, and other related problems without the assistance of any subordinates. By 1955, the residence hall capacity had increased to 925 students, which taxed the limits of the facilities and the ability of the staff to prepare the many meals served each day.
In January, 1959, Ortega Dining Commons was opened, the first of two permanent dining facilities. This building had a seating capacity of 780 students, four serving lines, and modern equipment, including a bakery. In 1961, De la Guerra Dining Commons was opened and shared the responsibility with Ortega of serving 1,600 students three meals a day. The seating capacity of this unit was 460.
In 1965, 2,062 residence hall students were served three meals a day in the two permanent dining facilities. The staff had increased from the original 45 to 105.
Also in 1951-52, a substantial bequest came from a former student, Miss Juanita Noble, to establish a trust fund, the income of which was to be used for scholarships to be known as the Isabelle Price Memorial Scholarships. The first awards were made in 1952-53 to six students from $1,500 which was then available. By 1955-56, $2,250 was awarded to nine students. Since that time, this fund usually provided $3,000 to $4,000 yearly.
In 1953, the largest single scholarship gift to the University of California up to that time was given to the Santa Barbara campus from the Ina Therese Campbell estate and the yearly income from this endowment doubled the amount of money available for awards. The first awards were made in 1953-54. A total of 68 scholarships were given by May, 1954 and that number increased gradually from year to year.
A gift of $2,400 from the UCSB Alumni Association for awards in 1961-62 was the beginning of local alumni assistance. This first amount came from a combination of annual dues and bank interest plus matching funds from the Regent, and increased yearly since then. In November, 1961, the UCSB alumni made their first appeal by mail to members for contributions specifically for scholarships.
The addition of many gifts, donations, and additional programs provided by the Regents brought the total number of awards to 400 for 1965-66, which included 69 Regents' Scholars and 15 President's Awards.
The first National Defense Student Loans, totaling $16,222, were granted to 46 borrowers during the spring and summer of 1959. The first full academic year 1959-60 saw this loan fund used by 505 students. In 1964-65, the number of student borrowers had risen to 886 and during these years, this loan program assisted 2,360 students to the extent of $1,855,203.
The Regents Loan Fund was first used at Santa Barbara in 1963-64 to assist students in financing their participation in the "Education Abroad Program." It provided consistent supplemental financial aid since that time.
By the mid-1960's, financial aid included participation in the Work-Study Program established by the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964. This form of financial aid allowed the student to be employed in a part-time job associated with his scholastic and vocational goals. Through the means of one application form, all students who were admissible to Santa Barbara and proved financial need could be given aid through scholarships, long term loans, and/or part-time jobs to supplement parental support.
In 1965, the office placed 2,062 students in five permanent on-campus residence halls and in 250 married student apartments and assisted with the placement of over 6,000 students in privately-owned Isla Vista residence halls and apartments.
Extraordinary growth marked the center's history. From a modest beginning of 4,100 vacancies reported in 1953-54, the center in 1964-65 processed more than 35,000 vacancies in the educational placement division alone. A comparable growth was noted for the business and industrial division, while the part-time employment division in 1964-65 assisted students in finding employment with salaries totaling more than $354,600.
The center was operated on the principle that placement was "career planning." Those who register were offered vocational guidance, occupational advisement, and assistance in career planning and job search. Files of all registrants were retained until the candidate reached the age of 70. The center assisted the registrant in carrying out a sequence of lifetime occupational objectives and assembled information about the training and experience of candidates, received vacancy data, and arranged interviews with employers.
From 1944 to 1948, the health center was housed in a small four-room building nostalgically referred to as the "health cottage." A part-time physician and a full-time nurse constituted the professional staff until 1947, when a full-time physician was added.
In 1948, a more adequate temporary structure was added which could house seven bed-patients with a 24-hour nursing staff and limited laboratory and x-ray facilities.
The move in 1954 to the new ocean-side campus permitted occupancy of an existing U.S. Naval medical facility which was maintained during World War II for the U.S. Marine Air Base. In this facility, with periodic remodelling, alterations and additions, the health service did, in order to meet its commitments, expand from a full-time-equivalent staff of 11.4 persons to handle a 1954-55 average of 41 out-patient visits daily and 11 bed-patients to a full-time-equivalent staff of 41 persons to handle a 1964-65 average of 251 outpatient visits daily and 18 bed-patients.
Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.